Mountain Buzz banner

What's up with the discharge into lake creek?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  klamb 
#1 ·
Just wondering if the guage was freezing or what? Check the guage website. Wierd pattern?

#2 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lake Creek and flows dropping or rising while you are on the drive up there or jumping 400 cfs while you are on it. The only good gauge is visual and just above the caldron right by the bridge/low head dam. In the 3’ range is the best 4’+ get ready fo some action and at 5’+ feet bring the toilet paper you will need it.

Word came from the SE and E water board meeting yesterday up here in BV that they are “exchanging” water right now or moving it around their system – so in all likely hood those flows are real. It might not get up to 800 up there but I would bet a $100 it is up to a very runable 200+ cfs during those releases.

Oh yea also Lake is a "dead" creek no fish or other livin critters - this is how they can move such large ammounts of water woth little to no notice.

Get up there yo – just bring your gloves it will be cold as hell.

Marco you up for a final run before you move out east – if so give me a call I have never ran lake after thanksgiving.

#5 ·
Yeah neck, good idea. You guys go run Lake Creek. Send me a video. I want to see Marky shivering like a baby lamb. Just another example of the difference between all of us like Inc. and Chixon who live down here on the warm end of the valley...it promotes clear thought and decision making skills.

Mark, sorry to be losing you to the Ivy Leagues. I just heard. Stay in touch so we can hook up at Lachine.

#6 ·
I just got back from fishing up at 4-bay (they were hittin we caught a 33”, 27”, and 24” macs today!) and we drove up Lake to see how much water was there was. It was IMO 100 to 150 cfs. No ice around the Caldron - that is all we looked at. It is also officially cold as a turkey’s tit up there – about 6” to 10” of snow is on the ground - any outdoor activity(s) in the region should include Miller High Life, a 2-stroke, and snowboard – not a boat.

Cutch - are you going to be around this winter? If so call me or come by we are looking for BC partners. Unfortunately we lost a good soldier to marriage over the summer. Got a rail set up on “the wood” earlier this week so it is time to go jibbin.

Marco – I think that lake - while cold - is perfect for a guy like you right now – and you need video of your run. I will shoot the pics and make sure that any malted, hoppy, beverages feel welcome - with all the snow they will make a great x-mass card. I was thinkin that you should duct tape a Santa hat to your helmet (I also currently have some red duct tape on hand for the x-mass season) now all we have to find is a beard and a red dry top! Santa runnin the caldron with snow on the ground – perfect!

Harv diggidy and the s-town posse – I wish that I could make that Cat day it should fun as it gets. The only problem as I see it is that “ripping skiers or boarders only” are invited – how the hell does Mo Inc fit into that :lol: ? It is my belief that the only way Inc will be rippin is if I ship him out 12 Pancho’s bean burritos to eat in the 3 days preceding the event. Unfortunately that weekend we are booked for 4 days at the bent elbow in Silverton. Silverton then BC and the sleds is about all that could make me miss that day.

Have a happy thanks giving all - v

#7 ·
After seeing the hydrograph, I went up there with friends to attemp some lake creek action on Thanksgiving. Despite sun and warm temps, a good bit of the creek was frozen. Brains lands next to a nasty piece of undercut ice, entrance to paralyzer mostly frozen. Some of it looks kinda runnable, but was too slow and cold to be fun so we went to Pine Creek and ran it 2x. Its low but fun little boofs and no ice. Looks like Lake Creek season is over till spring.

#8 ·
Lake Creek info

If you guys ever want more specific Lake Creek info once spring rolls around, give me a holler. I might be able to give you more accurate info on exchanges and Fryingpan-Arkansas project operations affecting the cfs there. And, I'm always good for Forebay info, too.

Just a thought.
--Kara

#9 ·
Kara-

Sounds like you could be a great resource for planning runs on Lake Creek. I know there are many boaters that could benefit from this beta. In the past there have been posts on this site from people who work with Denver water to help predict upcoming levels on the Bailey section of the South Platte. This has helped a lot with trip planning. Usually they just post their predictions the Thursday or Friday before the weekend. Whats the best way for you to share this beta?

#10 ·
It actually depends on what section of Lake Creek. If it is below Twin Lakes Dam, I can share beta either via an e-mail notification list, posts here on Mountain Buzz, or both. Whatever the "demand" is for, I guess.

#12 ·
Ah, well. It figures. I hoped I could be of more help. We have nothing to do with water above Twin Lakes Reservoir. While we own the reservoir, dam, and powerplant, we do not own all the storage space in Twin Lakes (nor the majority of the land it sits on. That's the Forest Service). The Twin Lakes Canal Company still owns and contracts out major storage in Twin Lakes Reservoir. I believe they also have a tunnel or canal, possibly, that brings water from the west slope. But, I'm not sure if that impacts Lake Creek above the dam and reservoir. I'll have to ask them.

When we move water through the Fryingpan-Arkansas Project into Twin Lakes, we bring it down from the Mount Elbert Forebay and through the powerplant. At night, we pump the water back up to the Forebay and generate with it again. So, for lake levels at both Twin Lakes and the Forebay, I can be helpful--and also with releases to Lake Creek below the dam and down the Arkansas (especially during the Flow Program in summer). But not upstream. So, sorry about that. On the other hand, please don't hesitate to give me a holler on the reservoirs, if need be.

Best,
Kara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.