Old 06-21-2005   #11
I agree with all whom posted above - FibArk was better than ever this year! Great music, great events, great beer and great people!

But I also agree with the OP - the cops were unusually agro and unwarranted assholes throughout the weekend! I did not once see anyone giving the cops grief, but on numerous ocassions did see the cops giving other people grief. From the unnecessary snide remarks, to full-on beat downs, the cops were on the prowl. They were trying to criminalize the situation rather than serving and protecting. This is actually not that uncommon for that valley (Salida to BV), and not unlike my hometown of Winter Park, but it was borderline harrasment. It was very clear the cops made it an us-against-them situation all weekend. And they created this situation from everything I saw.

I am not a cop basher by any means! I just tell it like I see it. You people whom were not even present at FibArk, and are jumping on the "don't bash a cop" bandwagon need to check yourselves, just like the cops around Salida need to check themselves! There can be peaceful coexistence, if we all just stay out of eachothers' business and mind our own!

holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #12
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
FIBark rocked

I haven't been in many years and I have to admit.... it was absolutely cool, except for the weather..that was baking. My wife loved it, and my kid.... what 4 1-/2 yr old wouldn't? He got to paddle his boat a couple times and then play on all that inflatable stuff. The pugil sticks was his fav, he got to whack his old man and mom for all the times we tell him to pick up the damn legos!
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #14
Denver, Colorado
I was there and was in a state to be arrested myself, I saw cops chase some teenagers down an alley from the Vic. No idea what they did, but they tried to hide in a stairwell and got caught. They were pulled out a bit violently, sure. But come on now, if you did something that resulted in a FOOT CHASE, do you expect the cops to politely ask you to stop and lay down? That's the only thing I saw

Funny sidenote, someone (pleading the 5th) used my cop friend's name last year after an NSV run while getting stopped by a ranger after illegaly paddling across Buttonrock.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #15
BV, Colorado
Frist off, I have to say that I was down by the river, and dont ask me what her name was cause I cant remember, but I do know a bit about what went on.

The guy who was arrested is a friend of mine, but i have not seen him since before this incident, and have not yet met his girlfriend.

Another friend of mine is a cop who was there working, was just around the corner when the initial scuffle took place. He actually doesent work for Salida PD, he works for one of the other agencies in the valley.

The ambulance there was a coincidence. They were responding to a woman having a diabetic emergency.

My cop friend told me that to his knowledge, no statements had been given by any witnesses. He also said eye witness statements would be helpful with this situation.

My cop friend is one of the good cops. And as Mike said(BTW where the hell were you?):

"If you see a cop do something wrong, report it and follow through. Sure its a little work, but worth it. Our system is largely setup to openly monitor those bad apples. Good cops thinks legitimate complaints against police are paramount. They don't want pretenders or head cases making them look bad."
Is exactly his position as well. So it sounds to me, even after talking to my cop friend, that a statement from any of you all that witnessed this event could prove helpful to my buddy that found his ass in jail.

So don't hesitate to contact the Salida PD, because at the moment there are two different stories about what happened.
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #16
C. Springs, Colorado
Like I said, I only caught part of it, and it wasn't pretty. E-mail me, I met a friend of a friend that says he saw it all. Maybe I can get him in touch with your friend.

I've been going to Fibark off and on since the 80's. I'm an older private boater and business man from Colorado Springs. I'm not afraid to complain about what I saw, but I only witnessed a split second of the accident. That's why I posted to see if anyone was closer. Yes, this incident should be reported to the police.

I'm wondering who shoved who, first. It sounds like the policeman may have had a right to arrrest her, but they are suppose to be professional enough in their duties to not be throwing the first punch, (or shove as in this case).

I too know a few LEO's. That's why I know that they are not suppose act out in anger. It's part of their training. Arrest people, yes. Throw a women on the ground because they were verbally abused (from a woman, no less). I say NO!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #17
BV, Colorado

thanks for the help. just have your friend contact the Salida PD directly. There will be more validity to the complaint if there is no collusion involved.

SPD phone number 719 539 6880.

Old 06-27-2005   #18
C. Springs, Colorado
I'll pass on the info. Hopefully it will benefit your friend.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #19
You know.. if you treat cops like shit, you're going to be hauled off to jail. 99% of cops are upstanding people who have always showed me a great deal of respect.

On another note, when you're drunk in public.. you're the only one having a good time. To everyone else, you're a problem. Especially cops. These guys have to put up with a lot of shit everyday, they don't need some punk ass kayakers giving them attitude. In the end, someday you're going to need their help... and what comes around, goes around.
surfpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #20
BV, Colorado
Where you there?