Old 10-28-2011   #61
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
You kayakers all float with gopros. Our rafts cost so much we are left using our mom's 1.3Mp cameras that we promised we wouldn't get wet. Flat water is the only place we dare take the camera out of the drybox

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #62
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Here's an action shot. Dont try this in your Kayak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2572529042.png
Views:	254
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	4118  

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #63
Louisville, Colorado
Maybe the rafter are too busy hauling the kayakers poop, beer, kitchen, sleeping bags, and dry bags, to pull the heavy boat into the tiny eddy and snap photos. Seriously folks, if you want and all kayaking only gnar forum go start one instead of complaining. I think rafter and kayaker can and should play well together. The best trips have safety boaters, beer, good food, at least one night camping, and don't have shit crawlin' out from under rocks when everyone leaves. Both rafters and kayakers should feel free to geek out about their side of the sport - including photos. Personally, I would like to see some photos of hot dudes though.

Time to switch to the snow forum, where we can argue about which resort is best, that only sick backcountry is worth posting, and make fun of telemarkers (I am one).
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #64
Once upon a time there was a kayaking gnar only forum, it was called mountainbuzz. The forum was sold and taken over by rafters so now the gnar kayakers only show up to talk shit to said rafters. Mountainbuzz was once about talking shit to other boaters, but now there are moderators that delete any real shit talking so you are left with rafters that like to post as many photos of their rafts being rigged as possible while bitching about any kayaker that doesn't care to see it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #65
Denver,, exhaustion
So... catwoman, rafters don't eddyout to scout? I don't get it. Most kayakers that I know take their photos as part of the scouting stop.

Also I clearly stated class II+ and above. I don't know anyone wHo calls class II+ gnar. I just asked that not every photo be class I.

And carrying our gear only accounts for overnight trips. So then you must be insinuating that 98% of raft trips are overnight.....without stopping to scout?

You also chose to ignore the part where I said most people wouldn't mind the raft photos .... just show common courtesy and let somebody eldest photo be up for a day or two.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #66
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post
So... catwoman, rafters don't eddyout to scout? I don't get it. Most kayakers that I know take their photos as part of the scouting stop.
Nah, we're to GNAR to scout. Read and run baby!

We also have this wonderful thing called a BOAT, which we can stand on, and scout from.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #67
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
thanks leif.
so, it is a different buzz that it used to be.
still appreciate the forum immensely, even if you have have to wade through a bunch of slop to get to the material the site was originally set-up for.
can't really blame the rafters for glomming on to the site, there is great river info here and spirited discussion.
Maybe the moderators can somehow keep the flat water raft photos and discussion of coolers, raft-rigging ideas and turkey legs separate from the core kayaking stuff.
seriously though, thanks to the folks that keep it going, no matter the increasing lame factor.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #68
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
funny I thought this was mountainbuzz??? why don't you all go start kayakbuzz and just flog the shit out of that bitch with talk of oil canning, what degree offset paddle you use and kayak outfitting.

it would be awesome. oh wait that's right all you kayak whiner dirt bags don't spend any money. and since this is by size and volume, if not original intent, a commercial website, now they need to generate money to run it and have some left over for hookers and blow. So they let us boring rafters in......I spent more on my dry boxes than you did on your entire kayaking get deal with it. Oars there is a whole 'nother kayaking setup. Frame...same. Not we get to the rubber/plastic/nylon whatever and you have 5 to 10 more kayaking setups. Rafters have the financial clout and the ability to carry beer.

And they are not the humorless-holier-than-thou-because-I-am-in-a-tiny-craft that most 'gnar' kaykers seem to be.

Troll over and out.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #69
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Does this make you happy?

or this?

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #70
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Does this make you happy?

Ya... thats the stuff rafters need to be posting on the front page.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote