Old 05-29-2007   #1
what's the driest skirt made?

so I just started using a waist belted throw bag this weekend and I'm pretty sure it's making my mountain surf skirt leak like a sieve! my new jackson was pretty dry on saturday without the bag, but sunday and monday quite wet...

since I finally threw down on a boat I can respect (no dis on the other companies, I'm just so cheap my other boats were all busted some way or another) I need a real skirt.

opinons are just as valid as fact here...

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
My SnapDragon kept me bone dry for five seasons. Started leaking this season and ripped at the rand about 45 days into the season. I'm buying the exact same skirt again. Right now, Snapdragon is the only brand I will buy skirts from.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #3
i just got a harmony with a lip lock which keeps the boat really dry.. my freind has a snapdragon liplock and is always dry. they just have the extra neoprene that sticks out the edges and keeps a super nice seal. i think its the way to go
hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #4
I swear by Wildwasser skirts, but all skirts fail especially if you are creeking the manky stuff.
The real key is how to repair them. I goop up the problems spots with aqua seal and then clamp them between wood blocks. I wrap the blocks in a plastic bag to keep the glue from sticking.

This forces the glue into the neoprene and thins it so that it is flexible for a long time. It also slightly pre-stretches the neoprene on tears. Don't clamp. too hard! Just enough to reduce the neoprene by about half the thickness
yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #5
by the way, an opened tube of aquaseal will last years if you squeeze the air out and put it in the freezer. Just defrost and use.
yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #6
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Mountainsurf Dur-O-Ring with the RED grab loop is the driest according to the customers when I worked at NOC. However, the dryness has a lot more to do with how YOUR skirt fits YOUR boat. Change the shape of the cockpit and it changes the skirt fit. I've had good luck with Mountainsurf (I have the yellow EZ-on grab loop one) on all my playboats, but for some reason it seems to always let water find a way into my CFS. Then again, I very rarely roll when paddling that boat, so it might be leaky bolt holes. Driest boat ever was my SuperEgo - hard play all day and not a drop in the boat. All about the matching of the coaming and the shirt rand. Sorry, but getting a dry setup is 50% voodoo.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #7
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I know a bunch of guys that swear by drydecks (skirt/top combo) they seem to work well, definately are dryer & have more flexibility than a traditional setup. I might justify buying one this year, I've been waiting for the drydeck fairy to drop one off for a while & it hasn't been working so far!

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote