Old 05-08-2007   #1
What's the best rolling DVD for a beginner

My friend wants to learn to kayak. What's the best DVD for him to watch to learn to roll? I know of three good ones:
1) EJ's Rolling & Bracing
2) The Kayak Roll
3) Grace Under Pressure

I'll still recommend that he take a class with an instructor, but it's worthwhile for him to watch a video first. Which one?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #2
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
No question. Definitely EJ's. If he can swing it, he should pick Ej's strokes and concepts DVD also. It's a great place to start for beginners.
Check your local library. Ours has almost all of EJ's and the other DVD's.

acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #3
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
EJ's all the way!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #4
the best roll video?

I teach rolling. IMO The Kayak Roll with Kent Ford has no equal. It's the best.
The Kayak Roll is the only one of the three that teaches real twist sweep.
Twist Sweep is the only roll used by ACA. I'm not too fond of EJ's. I think he misses some important stuff.
dmaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #5
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
My vote is for Grace Under Pressure. Not as professional of a production but it describes the progression like no other and has great camera angles. EJ's great but it seems like sometimes he doesn't break it down as well. They're all good, though.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #6
Gypsum, Colorado
I think to it depends on the person learning. Everyone is diff. when it comes to interpreting information. You can take 2 people and say the exact same thing to each and one will be "ya OK that makes sense" and the other will look at you like your a horses arse! The reason I say EJ's is it worked for me and a few others I have taught to roll, but I am the type of person that will over complicate everything I do so the simpler the explanation the less I have to complicate!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #7
Very humble opinion to follow:

I think Stumpster hit the nail on the head, everyone learns differently.

The Kayak Roll was the key for me. Though I have a good hip snap now, I had a hard time learning the C to C in the beginning. The Kayak Roll teaches the sweep and body rotation, which naturally results in a hip snap. I didn't have to think "hip snap", I only thought about watching my paddle slice through whip cream as near the surface as possible, for any given situation. Another person may prefer to think "hip snap" when learning though. (Stumpster's point.) Less flexible, older people for sure, have a easier time learning the sweep.

With that said, I watched EJ's equally when learning. Once I had the sweep down, I used EJs drills to learn every other type of roll, and of course a good brace. EJ's also helped me with the mental game.

So bottom line for me, get both. Five years later, I still watch both and when I'm introducing a newbie, I let them borrow both.

P.S. One word of warning...the music sucks on the Kayak Roll. Do not let it get in your head. On my first successful roll I came up doo dooing that stupid song.
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #8
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

I've been kayaking for 8 years, been teaching kayaking as long. Before EJ's it would take a good student 4 hours to get to their first unassisted roll.

After EJ's I can teach a good student in about 45 minutes. Without getting out of my boat!

It also improved my rolls a bit.

Now when I see people teaching the roll the way I used to, I can see the walls to progress that EJ has eliminated.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #9
pnw, Washington
kayak roll
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #10
Golden, Colorado
I think EJ's video was great and really helped me to make my roll bomber but I haven't seen the others. I like how he teaches the brace as well. I have a copy of EJ's video and might be willing to sell it if your interested PM me.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote