Old 06-08-2005   #1
What's Santa Fe like for paddling?

Hi all. New here. I might have the chance to move to Santa Fe and obviously want to suss out the paddling opportunities there first. After Mapquesting Denver, I see it's 6 hours from Santa Fe, which isn't to bad compared with what I'm used to (I live in Toronto, Canada and it's always a long drive to do any paddling). I'm primarily a Class IV+ creek boater, though it's always fun to thrash around in a playboat pretending I know what I'm doing. Any beta on the NM scene, or how far it is to drive up to the paddling area's in Colorado and around would be appreciated.

paddlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #2
Rio Grande is just around the corner from there. The upper taos box is more creeky and the lower box and Pilar is more river running. You are only a few hours from ample runs in the southern portion of the state both river running and creeks. Good luck on the move.

greenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #3
Denver, Colorado
OUr season is typically super short for creeking (apx 1 month). But as the previous post states CO is a short drive. So when we dry up it is easy to catch their run off which is usually several weeks after ours. This year we have seen amazing water (nearly flood stage) our creeks have been bumping huge for 2 months solid and finally on the decline.

As far as the Rio Grande goes... marginal playboating all year if you can stand the colder weather. The UTB has ice bridges from apx Dec to April depending but runs all year.

Great weather and great skiing in Taos for the winter.
Stay Wet
Repa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #4
Besides the stuff in crc 2,you have the Upr.Pecosless than an hour to the east 3/3+ crystal clear ,wild and scenic semi- creeky ,beware wood and fences.To the south Whiterock canyon on the RG 2-3 (4 high?)tuff carry out ,but Bandelier the southwest the JEMEZ IS WOODY 4/4+,someone posted awhile back about running its tributary the Guadelupe.All these have unreliable flows but cranked this year.Have fun.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #5

Hey Repa, are you down for a run on the Embudo tomorrow am or do you know anyone who might be? I'll need to know by midnight. Thanks, Ken 512 789 3649
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #6

Thanks for the info. Sounds like there's some good stuff around there. Santa Fe seems to be a pretty awesome outdoors town.
Is there much of a paddling community in Santa Fe and Alburquerque? Do many of you drive up to Colarado? About how long do you find you need to drive to the main runs up there.
paddlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #7
Denver, Colorado
Sorry Ken, Working all weekend. Such as it is when you slave for the raft industry. Would have loved to though given this is probably the last weekend for the year.

There are small but dedicated paddle community pods in Abq, SF, and Taos. Folks drive to CO all the time to catch water. The drive times vary depending on where your going. E.G. DUrango area for the Animas, Piedra, Vallecito, Lime etc takes about 4 hours. BUena Vista for the Ark, LAke, Grape etc = 5.5 hours. Denver for the front range stuff = 6.5 hours. All in all not too bad.

Stay Wet
Repa is offline   Reply With Quote