Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-20-2006   #1
What's running around Aspen July 1st-4th weekend?

Would the slaughterhouse section of the roaring fork be running then? Anything else close by in the class 3 to 4+ range?

the swimminest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #2
Check the guages on the 30th and you'll know as much as anyone else.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #3
Where are these gauges and what levels am I looking for. And really, what runs are close by Aspen that are fun and somewhere between good class 3 and class 4+. I should have clarified that I've never paddled in the Aspen area before.
Old 06-21-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Right smack dab in Aspen
-roaring fork - slaughterhouse - level is low and hanging on by a thread class IV. could probably scrape down and have a good time

Close to aspen
-crystal drainage - level is dropping, still holding a bit of water, class III-V sections there

A bit further
-shoshone, class III big water, glenwood springs

or if everything is dry, go over to the arkansas river, 1 hr + away. Check the gauges on the flow page and river descriptions on www.eddyflower.com

Waters going fast, but you will find something to float.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #5
Thanks deepsouthpaddler. That's the info I was looking for. Where in the deepsouth are you from?
Old 06-22-2006   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally from New Orleans. Learned to boat in TN/NC on extended road trips. Moved up to Denver two months before Katrina. Best move of my life.

As for slaughterhouse, I think 500 is a min that I saw somewhere, but haven't tested. Hopefully you will have at least that much. Its a beautiful run.

If you are in the Aspen area and have some time on your hands after boating, go check out the Maroon Bells and the Grottos. Info for both can be found at the ranger station right when you get into town. Bells are spectaular mountains with a beautiful lake right under them. The grottos is a day use area that has some really cool ice caves and an awe inspiring series of cascades (V+/VI) that is beautiful to behold. An aspen local relayed tales of some maniac running them. Wow.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #7
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Great white water around here. The upper roaring fork (slaughter house) is great if the water holds. Below that is Tooth Ache a nice canyon with some class III. The Crystal from Marble to Redstone (Bogan Canyon) is a great IV- run that is pretty long. The section directly below Redstone is Meat grinder (V/V+) a steep drop and boulder section. Below that is the Narrows(IV/IV+). Constricted and poppy. An easy section is Avalanche creek to the BRB campground(III+). Old stand by is Soblowme in g-wood. Should have good water in it over that weekend.

Many other things of interest as mentioned above. Jeep trail to top of Has-been uh ASSpen on midnight mine road or little annies road off Castle Creek road at the roundabout. Below Grottos is a nice jump pool. Pull out 1/4 mile aspen side of grottos. Lincoln Creek has some nice free camping 1/2 mile up from pay to camp on the same road. Some nice pool jumps up that way as well. 3 or so of them, look around for other people and you will find them.

G-wood caverns is a nice family place to get some lunch and spend a 1/2 day.

Parents are in town that weekend... but hit me up as I may be able to take the raft out and play beer barge.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #8
Thanks for the info. I'm a little rusty on the boating, living in Utah and all, but the slaughterhouse run has always interested me, and some of those easier runs on the Crystal sound good. Which is more likely to have water?

I've actually been to aspen a bunch (my brother lives in Basalt, but does not kayak), and will be doing more hiking and mountain biking than boating. I've been to a lot of the places suggested, but have not been to the grottoes. Might have to check that out. But I am interested in trying out some of the boating in the area on this trip. Hopefully something will work out.

Deepsouthpaddler - I lived in Chattanooga for 3 years or so before moving to Utah, that's why I asked where you were from.