Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-27-2013   #1
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
What's it like to do the Stikine? Trip report.

I had the amazing luck to make the journey north and paddle the Grand Canyon of the Stikine a couple of weeks ago with Quinn Connell. It was a trip that started at Bailey Fest when Quinn and I decided over a few beers to give it a go . It was just the two of us, neither of us had done it before, and it was awesome.

Read the full report + pictures here:

Full Trip Report

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #2
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Simply awesome

Have you run anything that compares?

Huge props and thank you for sharing.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Top notch: "Hey, lets go paddle the Stikine." "Um, ok."

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
^^ Probably one of the more ambitious trips hatched over beers that's actually happened!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #5
Boise, Idaho
As someone who has never run the Stikine and will likely never have the ability and balls to do so... I really appreciated your pondering about the place of the Stikine in today's boating world.

I notice a similar thing with the NFP... a legendary river that typically claims a life of an extraordinary boater every year. Yet... having that run in my backyard, I'm quite amazed at how many people run it. Sometimes even paddlers who can barely roll a playboat and get beat down at the local playpark (no joke).

These are all interesting questions to think on... and amazing trip report.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #6
Indian Hills

Way to go Quinn. You said you were going to do it that night...and so it happened. Finish your shit out east and I hope to see you next year.
With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #7
Paddling Since: 96
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #8
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Excellent work. I've got to say though I've yet to paddle any river that's "just another river" but I get what you were getting at.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
Great to see your still out there charging David! Great trip report and pictures, I am super jealous. I was once at the Stikine put in after a Homathko trip, but the river levels were super high and rising. A couple of us bailed because it was going to be our first trip. A few folks who had been down multiple times put on at the highest recorded levels (at the time, not sure if has been paddled higher now?), and ended up having an epic with the high water and eventually hiking out. Still haven't made it back up there...you just inspired me to make the trek back up north! and it is a trek!!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Jon Souter
Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Awesome David! Incredible accomplishment for you guys to paddle the Stikine, especially with no guide.

I kind of understand your comments about it not living up to the hype. I'll never run the stikine, but a couple of the hardest runs I have done seemed easier than what I had built them up to me in my mind. Part of it is the hype others have, but a lot of it (I think) is how we build up difficult runs in our own minds. To a degree, I think its good. Going to a hard run thinking its gonna be mega full on gives you the mental focus to be on your game.

Of course I love the Bailey Fest boat winner back story... What are you gonna do with that new creek boat you just won... Go to the Stikine!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote