Old 06-23-2005   #1
What's Gore like at 2500ish?

With the lower blue ramping up next week we could see Gore Canyon in the mid 2000's. Most i've been in there at is 1400. How much bigger will it be?

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #2
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
No more sneak at Gore and everything will be just plain big and scary. I love Gore at 1400. I don't know about with twice as much water though.

have fun

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #3
Ski Patrol
Great today at 1600 or so. No new major wood and I did not see the log that had been haning out at kirshbomb.
A wise man once said "You Play You Pay"
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #4
Edgewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
It's Kirschbaum's.
wabisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #5
Automotive Engineering
Send a message via MSN to dtom
1700 would be a really fun level, especially because the paddle in would be about half an hour. Much over that and I understand that you get into the terrible 2's, where it's really pushy and none of the big holes have started to flush.
dtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #6
Tim Kennedy
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988

It'd be sweet if it gets that high. I haven't paddled it at that level in quite a few years. Gore and Scissors (Domer) become one rapid leading all the way into Pyrite. I've heard of a few folks gettin' stuffed in the right bank trying to sneak it on the right side. It's best just to boof over the rock that forms the river left side of the meat line. That way you stay out of the holes formed by Gilligan's/Decision (Wrap) Rock/Son of Wrap Rock. Then head right at Scissors. Pyrite is heinous. Above 2400, a creek sneak opens up on the far river left side. Tunnel was a flush down the left. Although with the changes since 1997 and 1999, it might be a little different. No more Toilet Bowl. Kirschbaum's is "game on!". Sneak the top on the left and once you're past the big hole in the middle (or once you're done with your ride in it) stay left of center.

At 2000cfs+ flows, the big rapids are hard, but easily portaged. The in-between rapids (Haywire, Race-line) and Kirschbaum will definitely keep you on your toes.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #7
Myth of terrible twos is shite

Ran it last night at 2540. Applesauce, same line, big hole to punch at bottom. Gore - left line onto the big green tongue and left bow angle to surf off the big waves and miss the holes. Far right on scissors, easy boof. Plenty of eddies between Gore and Pyrite and the usual eddy above P-rite is still in. Pyrite was tough - claimed a 50% swim rate, major right bow angle and exit high from the eddy and fight like mad to hit the tongue on middle right. Even a good line resulted in a back ender in the hole and a minor surf. Blown line = swim. In between water, read and run. Tunnel far left - tongue on river left near where old sneak was. K -bomb middle and then left at bottom.

all told it was an awesome run and should be done by those wanting a pushy big water experience. The myth of the "terrible twos" is just that - a myth. It all goes and I'll be doing it again soon!
Have fun and be safe!!
one more thing - the water is off the top of the rez's and is a nice bathtub temp.

will rawstron is offline   Reply With Quote