Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-12-2006   #41
Boulder, Colorado
On Foxton last year, I got "Do you just paddle back up to your car when you're done?"

dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #42
Some funny stuff. Remindes me of working at winter park , just cause people would ask where we put the moguls during the summer? The maintainance shed , of course we don't want them to melt over the summer.

Ifloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #43
The old TV commercial for some Colorado ski area with that guy preparing the moguls - I do believe they were metal frames, no?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #44
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Many years ago in Summit County there was a pretty subversive local's weekly that actually had a section where they compiled the dumbest questions and comments their readers had heard.

Its not unusual that folks leave their brain and common sense at home during their vacation - just beware, that may be you someday, somewhere!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #45
Da Fort, Colorado
A classic one heard by some friends on the Western slope...
"What elevation do deer turn into elk?"
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #46
G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
My two favorite lines that I used while rafting Brown's Canyon one summer-
See those animals up on the bank they really aren't cows they're an endangered species, indigenous to Colorado they're called Slow Elk, very, very rare.

The other one I used at lunch, You see all of these rocks we are standing on? Well, after a summer of tourist throwing them in the river they all end up on the other side of the river. Next year we'll eat lunch on the other side and throw all the rocks back to this side.

I had custy believe every word of it too!
Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #47
I worked in Steamboat years ago. A woman called and asked "What time does the snow get there?" I told her "Winter time."

We had a woman book with us on the Upper Colorado. She was a new mother and she asked if she could bring a breast pump on the boat so she could pump during lunch to relieve the pressure. Don't ask me where she dumped the milk.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #48
I've guided on the ark and colorado and heard many a question. Some others that guides hear every day:

"How can the river flow west when south is down?" (think of a map)
"Have you ever done this before" - No, I did watch the video last night though.
"What happens if you fall out?" - You get wet
"How did the rocks get here?"
"Can we flip?"

I also enjoy seeing if they will believe things like:

Pointing out cows as "Rocky Mountain Waterbuffalo"

Explaining that the drainage pipes that go under the roads and railroad tracks leading to the river are "deer chutes". Allowing the deer to get to the river and drink without crossing the dangerous road. The concrete ones are for the bighorn sheep.

phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote