Old 08-02-2009   #1
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What would you do???

So I took the Duckies out today instead of the raft, and my daughter and I were going through all the "skinny" channels that the raft wouldnt fit through. As we came around a bend there is a guy with a John Deere tractor in the water and he is pushing and digging up the river bed. I think he is trying to make several fish ponds in the channel for his personal use because his property is right there. I've always been a live and let live kind of guy so I dont know if I will call the BLM or not. What would you do?

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #2
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Report it in case he doesn't have permits for it via ACE.

CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #3
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
What would Heyduke do?
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #4
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'd NOT be a tattling bitch unless it affected me or had really negative environmental consequences. Telling the Army Corps of engineers can be a good way to stall/halt big projects but this small stuff has always happened, always will. I'm sure you'll get plenty of different views.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
What? Are you kidding me?

Call it in.

NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #6
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Waaah! There's someone in the river with a machine! Waaaah. Look at the ACE's record with environmental issues and tell me they are the people who should be in charge of river health. If it is your neighbor putting in an illegal diversion dam or patio over the river, then call away. I can understand and sometimes agree with a NIMBY, but really, what is it to you? Someone in some backwater mini stream puts in a fishing hole and you want to sick the Feds on them? Don't listen to Nolsguy, he's drinking our western slope water stolen with ACE blessing/planning, and probably watering his Kentucky bluegrass lawn too! Same goes for CO Patrick. Username at least gives a individualistic western view.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hmm, tough call. I have some river frontage and have built numerous small structures over the last 17 years... all by hand, sometimes with a come-along at most. I would love to pull a Corps permit and get a trackhoe and some big boulders to do some elaborate structures, but haven't had the budget for it. My feeling is that small stuff is cool, but when you start driving equipment in the river, a permit is absolutely in order. I have talked to the Corps office in Albuquerque, and frankly it didn't seem like a big deal to get a permit. As far as ratting the guy out, I don't know. I probably would call the Corps if he was fundamentally changing the channel. If not, I'd shine it on. My 2 cents...
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #8
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Boo-hoo, Jethro. So the world isn't perfect and there are golf courses in the west, etc. Past resource errors do not justify renegade abuse of resources that need to be managed VERY CAREFULLY. That's a bona-fide party foul you stumbled across, Moon. The proper agencies to contact are the Army Corps and the Colorado Division of Public Health and Environment.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #9
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What river was this in? That makes a difference in my opinion...if it was a low-volume, seasonal creek, he probably had good reason for what he was doing...however, if this was a decent size channel and he was significantly changing it, then it would be worth reporting to the authorities, how difficult is it too check and make sure he has permission?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #10
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
lots of sniveling..........

Did you ASK him what he was doing?

Maybe he has water rights and was clearing/maintaining a headgate or flume. You are required by law to maintain these structures if you have them.

Maybe he was burying a dead hooker from last nights wild coke binge.

I guess asking him would have been the most level headed thing to do. Tattling, is a pretty cowardly in my opinion IF you had the opportunity to get info from horse's mouth.

I also find humor in Front Rangers knee jerk reactions to any water related issues.... Nice that I pay more for water than people who pump it from a 100 miles away....

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote