Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-14-2011   #1
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
What would Wilderness Designation mean for WW and Deso

So I have been away from the news for 4 or 5 days... a good thing in general. But I noticed that the Government released a proposed list of wilderness areas and West Water Canyon and Desolation was on it.

I don't want to start a Wilderness debate. I'm just curious how a Wilderness designation for say West Water would change it for those of us that like to float it. Seems already pretty much managed that way. Would there be changes?

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No more bike shuttle, no wheels in wilderness areas.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #3
I know that a while back the area around westwater was sought after for oil drilling, but was withdrawn from being mineable land by the secretary of the interior using a FLPMA withdrawal. This is basically a temporary moratorium on mining/drilling activities for 20 years. This period expired, and I believe that some other temporary withdrawal/removal was put in place-I can't remember what exactly.

However, when this temporary restriction is up there will be another push to lease the lands around westwater for oil exploration. A wilderness designation will permanently withdraw that land from possible drilling/mining activities.

I dont know as much about the history of Deso, but I know there is oil drilling in the area. A wilderness designation would obviously block oil exploration there as well.

As far as boating lots of wilderness areas allow rafting/kayaking - think black canyon/gunnison gorge. Motors would become off limits though.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #4
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Thats the biggest difference facing rafters, no more motors if they make it wilderness.
Pro Leisure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Would not present activities and uses be grandfathered in?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #6
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Dave Frank
Would not present activities and uses be grandfathered in?
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!

No really?
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #7
Newb Sauce
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
No, there is no grandfathering of previous uses in wilderness. That is pretty much the puprose of wilderness designation, is to prevent previous uses .

Really this would hose the mtn bikers and motor cycle users that take the Kokopelli trail the most would be my guess (without seeing a map).
Milquetoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #8
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977

Originally Posted by Milquetoast View Post
No, there is no grandfathering of previous uses in wilderness.
Sometime yes, sometimes no. It depends on how the specific wilderness legislation is written. For example, wilderness designation for the Frank Church River of No Return Idaho allowed continued use of existing airstrips such as Indian Creek on the Middle Fork and jet boats on the main Salmon.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #9
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I highly doubt that this would eliminate a bike shuttle for westwater. Bike shuttle is on the kokopelli trail and mainly that trail is for mtn biking and 4 wheeling so I dont think that would be part of the wilderness area, although, I've seen crazier things happen. I rarely see anyone hiking the trail. So I wouldnt worry about that to much. The disadvantage that I see is that they could reduce the number of permits, and rafters would not be able to use motors. I do not know much about deso though.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #10
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I just got back from an early November solo trip on Deso, and i couldn't believe how loud the drill rigs/pumps on the rim are when you are on the river. If you haven't done Deso, it is a really deep canyon(about as deep as though not as long or steep/dramatic as the Grand Canyon) and none of it was visible, so hearing it surprised me. Never noticed that before, but it could be because I wasn't really listening. The sound of them didn't completely go away until after Steer Ridge.

I'd be pretty surprised if Deso would qualify as a wilderness area since that whole area is laced with old ranch roads and new oil/gas access roads. I'd love it if it were wilderness though.

atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote