Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-17-2006   #11
Durango, Colorado
If you feel like avoiding the Denvoid cluster f*ck and are willing to travel a bit more (I know you said 2-3 hours but...) everything in SW colorado will be running Memorial Day weekend as well. The Upper Animas (which is a SOLID IV with a couple V's) will be running as will the Piedra and the Dolores (only for 3 days though)

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #12
clas IV

Aspen area has some of the best Class IV in a small radius...Slaughterhouse section of the Roaring Fork..Narrows and Bogan canyon on the Crystal...Barrell Springs above Shoshone...The Crystal alone will give you everything form Class II - Class V+

wholesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #13
I agree! Skip all the I-70 stuff and go strait to the crystal. The view is great the water is fun and the people are friendly. Travel up to cristal mill falls (four-wheel drive) and run the section below it. If you are traveling all the way to colorado, you might as well see the most beautiful parts of the state. If you can't make it that far and need a more metro experience, try left hand canyon, boulder creek, or waterton canyon.
ttuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #14
I've been trying to come up with a class 4 triple crown,like the class 5 one near Crested Butte.Here's some possibilities for multiple rivers in one day; Boulder Canyon-Lefthand- NSV Button Rock to cr 80;Tenmile-Lwr.Gore crk-Eagle;Blue-Snake-Tenmile;lwr. Clear crk-Bear Crk-Waterton;Sweetwater-Grizzly-shoshone;ETC.
Anybody done anything like this or have suggestions,stuff close together with easy logistics and runs of comparable difficulty.Iguess i'd try to save the hardest run for last.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #15
What is left hand canyon? Also, what is 10 mile? Thanks-
dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #16
Buena Vista/Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thoughts from a fellow OC1er

Hey Dooley,
Sammer here. Now you'll get feedback from a canoer. I think I somewhat know your paddling ability, and what will interest you in the class 4 to 4+ range, and what does and doesn't go for open boating. Keep in mind though, that i am assuming that what would interest and be fun to me, would be the same to you. I might be wrong though. Also, I am accustomed to pushy, continous, volumous colorado water. So, even though it is just class 4, I am not sure how you would feel about some of the upper level flows I have recommended. I still plan on seeing you in yur parts around the 13th!

Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork (Aspen)is one of the best class 4 to 4+ runs in the state. Highly recommended. However it will be the farthest drive of all mentioned here. Go for 500 cfs and up to 2000 cfs.

Gore Creek, another great option, the lower section, through Dowd Chute (remember this is the run we did together at a low flow), go for 450 to 800 cfs max for OC. Watch out for pipes!

Waterton Canyon might be fun at any level, but I would personally give it alot of water to make it really interesting, 700 cfs and up. Be prepared to hike or wheel your boat back up a mile or so at the end.

Clear Creek, is okay class 4-. Lower or Upper sections. Give those a lot of water also to make it interesting.

Barrel Springs on the Colorado, is fun. This however is more in the class 5- range. It can be continous and become combat canoeing if you miss your eddies. At lower flows that shouldnt be a problem. Go for 500 cfs to 800 cfs max. Be careful of flows higher than this for OC, especially for you east coasters. To get the flow for Barrel, subtract 1200 cfs from whatever is reading on the Shoshone gauge.

The Numbers on the Arkansas, which I am sure you have done, is a straight up class 4 at most levels. However, again, to make it really fun, I would give it high flows, like 1000 cfs and up to 3000. However, it will get pushy and huge holey at those higher flows.

The Upper Blue, I dont think you would find interesting.

10 Mile Creek, the upper section (class 5) is really ugly, boat abusive, rolling is not much of an option, super continous, almost void of reasonable eddies, and not very fun. I dont recommend it. However, the middle and lower is okay.
And, I dont know much on the front range.
If you want to paddle with other OC1ers who can hang with you on class 4, contact: Bob Cook (bob-cook@comcast.net) and Justin Gilbert (justin.gilbert@comcast.net), they would be very happy to paddle with you, and I have already told them about you.

Let me know if you have questions bud!
justsammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #17
left hand is a tincy little creek just north of Boulder that runs very infrequently and has approximately 1 eddie per mile. Nothing to write home about.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #18
left hand is a canyon between boulder and lyons. Its roadside 4ish on the frontrange.

10 mile is another roadside run, this one in summit county in ten mile canyon between frisco and copper. I would say its just fast shallow class 4, easy, no big drops to worry about just lots of busy water.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #19

What do you have to offer for IV? I'll be out that way 2wks in August. Headed down to Charlotte for the OC Natls.

class iv