Old 05-04-2011   #11
Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
South Fork of the Clearwater is good for shits & giggles and right beside the Lochsa. But don't give up on the MFS yet. Think warmness! I plan to put on 2 days after you.

"Each mile on a river will take you further from home than a hundred miles on a road"
Bob Marshall
catboatkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If the MF is high enough to push people away, then I'd expect SFC to be too high also. However, I have yet to track that through a highwater snowpack year. The SFC is quite a step above the MF also, even Mickey Mouse.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #13
NORTH FORK run ever
JHripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #14
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
there's the Main Fork daily run, North fork of the clearwater, main payett, you could go hang out in hot springs or even vist the potato museum. Get a guide book and check it out. There will be plenty. You may want to take a look at the portage on the sf of the payett before you run I have seen it washed out in high water. But there should be plenty to keep you happy, Don't forget the little salmon.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #15
TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
This happened to out June 5 launch last year... We went to corn creek to try the main salmon (it is unpermited until mid June, and rangers were cool with the permit)... It too didnt come down... Well over 10' at the ramp gauge.

We went to the lochsa and car camped and did the lochsa falls section, fish creek down on a daily basis.

Also went to the Jerry Johnson & Weir Hot Springs every night... amazing springs.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #16
Salida, Colorado
Based on our experience launching Memorial Day Weekend last year I'd plan on about 3 flips or Z-drags a day for the 1st 3-4 days
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #17
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Originally Posted by whip View Post
Based on our experience launching Memorial Day Weekend last year I'd plan on about 3 flips or Z-drags a day for the 1st 3-4 days
launching where? 3 flips a day sounds hectic
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #18
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Updated recession shows trending much closer to 2009 which was a good snow year especially late season. This shows heading towards a "normal" big runoff but not the massive flows being forecast by some.

Middle Fork Salmon Snow-Stream Analysis | Idaho NRCS

Sawtooth Camera: Live webcam from Stanley, Idaho. Views of the Sawtooth Mountain Range.

Undoubtedly as soon as you drive out of Stanley you are into the snow line. Banner lost almost three inches of snow depth and an inch of SWE yesterday. With incoming warm weather and a general warming trend for the next couple of weeks I would be very surprised if it peaks in June. I suspect last week of May. Doesn't mean there couldn't be a second peak if it cools back off late in May, but my info and my read is not suggesting this at this time. The road usually opens at something under 10 inches on the Banner snotel and I think it will just be open for you. Maybe only by a couple of days, which can make it a little disconcerting if you don't know when you leave for the river.

Confirmed weather, MF streamflow hack. YMMV.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #19
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by fireman9500 View Post
A good backup plan for me would be middle and lower Owyhee. Its almost as many river miles as the MF, and if the MF is too high, there is a good chance the Owyhee is high enough to run. That would allow you to bring the same amount of food, drinks, ect and not mess your plans up too much by being around the same put in-take out dates
Actually if you start up at Pipeline or 45 ranch on the South Fork and go to Leslie Gulch it is way way longer than the MF, over 165 miles, almost 200 if you start at YP. If you run everyting there will be Class IV and V action, with a lot of flat water in between the very exciting bits:

recent vide of Cable Rapid at high water from our trip on the upper Owyhee:

getting there is half the fun though

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #20
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
any tips for me on posting vids correctly?

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote

« directions to conejos (pinnacle gorge)? | Leif and Nat's Gear Exchange and Backyard Party, Hell Yeah! »