Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-14-2013   #41
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
That girl was way over her head and a good example that to step it up (whether that means C IV or V) you not only need skill (yes, rolls are important) by experience and experience dealing with bad situations
"You learn good judgement from experience; you gain experience by: exercising poor judgement." --Reg Lake

OP, exercise poor judgement (as we all do when we're learning) on mellow rivers where the consequences are easily dealt with. When the likely consequences of poor judgement on tougher rivers include fatality, you want to have an A game to bring.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #42
SYOTR, Tennessee
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Do you know which section of the Chattooga that was? Doesn't look very difficult, just spots you don't want to swim into. Reminds me a bit of Elevenmile, I have seen people swim through 3 different sieves in that short class III/IV- stretch.

That's Hydroelectric rock in Section 4. Somewhere on the interwebs is a good video about a guy that was wedged in there for a long time, was extracted, and resusitated! I think it's one of those "I Shouldn't be alive" type videos.

If you haven't seen it google Oceana on youtube to see the river the OP is referring to. It's a nasty looking thing.

ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #43
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
She swam hydro at pretty low water.. Less than a foot I would guess.. A rafter dyed there this season at 2 feet... So it's not to be taken lightly ..
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #44
SYOTR, Tennessee

Heres a good Tallulah video
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #45
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Just remember, don't look at the Thing...
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #46
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Oceana is an incredible looking rapid, that hole is gnarls!

The run looks like a classic.
American Whitewater - 5 - Tallulah Gorge to Lake Tugaloo, Tallulah Georgia, US

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #47
BZN, Montana
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #48
Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm still curious about what he's been using other than a WW kayak. Duckie? Lower end kayak? Raft?

I've been in this same situation when I was looking for other people to go out with and hit harder rivers. Truth is, I wasn't ready for it. These guys on a lot of these videos run this stuff like its no problem and make it all look effortless. This rarely a sport where you can go from zero to hero. Maybe you're better than I was. But after getting my ass handed to me a time or two it changed my perspective. I strongly urge a swift water rescue class and good knowledge and practice of safety equipment.

Lastly, all of these comments aren't to bash you or discourage asking questions. It's all very good advice and should be taken into consideration. What ever you decide to do....put your safety and the safety of others first.
JCarrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #49
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Class II-III to Tallulah

It will take a lot of work to go from the Cartecay to Tallulah in a year. Here are some suggestions for marking your progress. Try the Nantahala, Section 3 of the Chattooga, Ocoee, Section 4 Chattooga, Tellico, Cheoah and maybe North Chickamauga. You should be solid reading and running everything easier than North Chick. Be sure to run Section 4 and Tellico at decent water levels (>2' on Chattoga and >2.5' on Tellico) before attempting North Chick.

You need to be able to read the water and pick your own lines and not simply follow the back grab loop of the boat in front of you.

To start, I'd suggest working on catching small eddies, playing hard and attaining easy rapids to make more boating sharper.

I'd recommend a park and huck at Baby Falls on the Tellico and at the bottom ledge of Bald River Falls near the confluence with the Tellico. These drops are miniscule compared to the big ones on Tallulah.
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #50
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Originally Posted by glenn View Post

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote