Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-13-2013   #21
Gainesville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
And as others have said try to find a good crew to boat with.
I dont have a "crew" lol
the only people I know who paddle live 50 miles away and live on the same river I did, the Cartecay.

They are more like long lost friends, who have full time jobs and wives and kids.

I joined this site last night to find other people who were serious about paddling

GeorgiaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #22
Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
My "crew" live 11/2-2hrs away. We make plans to meet and ride together or we may meet at the put in. There are tons of good boaters on these rivers that go out consistently. That really is key when trying to push yourself. Get on local or regional forums...meet people....ask questions. The only problem for you I could see is some of these people can't spend more than a day or two on the water at a time which holds you back a little.

JCarrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #23
Bugtussle, Kentucky
So...you don't have an actual whitewater boat yet but want to run the Tallulah. Interesting.
I'd start posting on BoaterTalk. But prepare to get flamed. Its just how these things work...
If you are serious and not trolling you will find paddlers near you on BT willing to help you out. But once you get a WW boat you will need a year or two running class II-IV before jumping on anything like the Tallulah.
The Ocoee in the summer will be your friend. Be patient, enjoy yourself.

BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #24
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey buds I would say don't worry about class. Worry bout fun! If you ain't having fun why do it. Start small find a nice couple surf feature and learn simple understanding and respect for the river than work up boss. Having a positive attitude is a great way to meet boaters on the river and number three you gotta go and be there if you really want it I am from Wyoming crews can be tight or you can have the entire community as your crew I prefer the options.. Lastly get a whitewater rescue certification to help save your buds life aswell your own.. Have fun come to montana and we will do some boating man. Sounds like you found your sport if you be asking questions just remember like a river most progress and don't have giant waterfalls so take it slow enjoy the eddies and make some fun moves.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #25
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGuy View Post
I dont have a "crew" lol

I joined this site last night to find other people who were serious about paddling
Everyone who has replied to your thread, and 90% of people on this forum are extremely serious about paddling.... like our lives revolve around it. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of us are in Georgia.

The suggestions of using Boatertalk is a good one. I would also suggest finding some sort of whitewater festival in your region and meeting as many people as you can. You have to make contacts to find people who are on the same level as you and have the same goals, and that really is key. Taking a course or two is also a great way to learn proper technique and safety, while meeting other paddlers.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of whitewater.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #26
Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm actually in South Carolina. Not far away and we'll probably be hitting the same rivers. Or at least the same region.
JCarrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #27
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Was checking out The Tallulah Gorge when I found this video of The Chattooga! Head-cam footage of swimming through a sieve... gross.

Be careful!

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #28
Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
Really want to go down the Tallulah Gorge in the northeast corner of Georgia. I have a good 2 years under my belt, practically lived on a class 2 river last summer. I've managed many class 3 rapids with no difficulty, but I'm looking at buying an actual whitewater boat.

Besides getting used to the new boat, what should I do to better prepare myself for a much more exciting river without jumping off the deep end and crossing my fingers?
Everything that everyone here has suggested. Stop chasing grades of river. Just have fun on the water. If you can nail every intended line on a grade/class 3+ without swims, try to nail class 4. Then class 4+ (there's a big difference between 4 and 4+, and then another big jump to 5).

Personally I don't really have 5's on my list because I got into kayaking to have fun, not to prove a point. I also have family to think about. Some people love the adrenaline rush. For me I do kayaking because I enjoy the river environment no matter what the grade of river, and I enjoy the banter and company of friends. The grade of river is secondary for me. I've done 4's and I know that even attempting a 5 is waaaaaaaaay off even if that was my aim.

My ultimate question to you would be, what's the hurry?
SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #29
Lakewood, Colorado
Originally Posted by smauk2 View Post
Was checking out The Tallulah Gorge when I found this video of The Chattooga! Head-cam footage of swimming through a sieve... gross.

Be careful!

You can hear someone shouting "swim left", "let go of the boat" (I think).
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #30
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The "good crew" recommendation is absolutely critical. If you want to step it up, ideally you have some good boating friends, mentors, who are willing to take the extra time while you get on more and more difficult runs. Secondly, good boating friends that are of comparable skill that are looking to step it up together. Keep putting yourself out there and you'll meet people. You risk flaming, but many of my favorite boating friends and me tors came either directly or indirectly from internet forums and plenty of flaming came with it. I knew no one who wanted to boat the rivers that I did, and it took some time to meet people that were if similar mindset. Also, willing to just introduce yourself to people at put ins and take outs. That is the fastest way to meet the local crew with local knowledge. Good luck, and just keep working at it.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote