Old 03-09-2008   #1
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
what school in Colorado is best for boating?

So I just have been accepted into the University of Northern Colorado, in Greeley, and Fort Lewis College, located in Durango.

Would anyone care to share either their input on what boating is like in these areas(like quality and driving distance), or what college would offer the best boating selections?

I'm used to doing class 4 and 5, with a little 5+ down here in the S.E. so Anything with good class 4 and 5+ is good to go. both schools have my desired major, but just curious.

Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #2
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
What ever you do dont go to Greeley. I made that mistake.

ManuelHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #3
C. Springs, Colorado
Over the two you mentioned.............I'd pick Durango hands down. You'll find the boating, scenery, and outdoor activities in general...... spectacular.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #4
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My daughter went to UNC and while she had a great college experience and got her first job with one of the best school districts in the state, if it were my choice, I'd go to Durango in a heartbeat. No comparison for the boating, outdoor enthusiast.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe you should go to Greeley, so you can just stay inside and concentrate on your studies.

Seriously the place just stinks of stockyards. I've head you get used to it, but.....

Definitely head for Durango if you enjoy the outdoors much, let alone boating.

Greeley is a haul to everywhere except the Poudre and some parts of Wyoming.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #6
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Fort Lewis, Durango. Piedra is sick, upper A, town run, San Juan, Dolores ETC.. close access to Arizona too. Fort Lewis also has an excellent chemistry department and alot of new amenities.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #7
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2000
Cool, sounds like Durango is a hit. right now im used to jumping on the green narrows for good steep creek training.

are any of you guys familiar with a good class 5+ plus run thats a quick drive and a quick run?

if so, whats the drive time and the run(s) like?
Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #8
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
If you are going to school strictly for boating purposes, you have chosen poorly. Enjoy the 2 month long boating season, part of which occurs after the school year.

Honestly, the boating here is great but expect to have to do other sports too. The boating season is short enough that you will need to ski in the winter and probably climb/bike in the fall although you can run the Black Canyon and sometimes the Upper Animas in the fall as well as Gore.

If you are really looking for a boating school you want either VT, UNC Asheville, University of Oregon in Eugene, University of Washington Seattle, or University of Puget Sound. Those are pretty much your bets for year round boating. Colorado isn't going to let you boat more than 2-3 months out of the year.

The real value of going to school in Colorado (as far as location goes) is that at different times of the year you can back pack, climb, bike, boat, ski, all in huge beautiful mountains.

Regardless, I would recommend Durango.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #9
Golden, Colorado
I think the boating season is long enough in Colorado. My season is about 1st week of April to about mid-August. That's 4 full months. I know people who keep going even later but I'm tired of paddling by the end of August.

If I drove more I could paddle even longer but I find it hard to travel to paddle when there is so much stuff close by. I might hit up New Mexico for some early stuff this year but with an early season creek 10 minutes from my house (Bear Creek) it is easy to say forget the trip for 2 days of paddling and just paddle every day here.

I think you would be really happy in Durango. I'd go to school there if I had a time machine.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #10
Boulder, Colorado
the boating season in colorado is plenty long, I have boated in every month of the year in colorado except january. I would go with Durango for school that place has got the goods.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote