It's all in my head - I have a photographic memory 6 14.63%
I keep a master list of runs, but few or no details 9 21.95%
I keep a log of every run with details 16 39.02%
I don't keep a log 10 24.39%
I tick off the runs in my guide book 8 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2008   #11
the zoo, Montucky
I usually keep a log for all my outdoor activities. The main ones I write down are backpacking trips, boat trips, climbing trips, and kayaking runs. I haven't been that great about keeping up on the water related stuff, usually just writing down big trips, or the first time I ran a run. Usually I write down who was there, mileage in, pitches climbed, miles floated, gear I used, gear I didn't use, and complications. It is a good way for me to go back through and say to myself, ok, I used this, on this trip, or I wish I had this, or I have never used this, but I still pack it with me every time I go, do I really need this? It basically turns into an account of the trip, after I get some pertinent information/facts down, then I just start writing what I felt during the trip and what the experience was like.

Edit to add: I also am a big fan of writing in guidebooks. Especially guidebooks for climbing, etc. I will write down who I did it with, when, and just a line about what it was like. In the river guidebooks I write down campsites, things I notice on the way down, weird new sandbars, etc.

"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Gotta say I love the paddle log. I use excel. Got every run since day 1. Total river days, river days that year, run name, difficulty, flow / level, number of swims, who I paddled with and random comments. I started keeping track of which boat I was using after breaking creekers like they made of balsa wood.

As noted its really cool to look back and see a nice history or all the runs you have paddled and who you ran them with. Its also a great reference for flow info to look back and compare level vs. fun factor.

I also break it down by river run, overnighter, or park n play.

Can't wait to start logging some serious fun in 08!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #13
I used to use small calendars sorta like Joe's, now I use my palm pilot which is easily searchable
interesting tidbits

I'm using the callendar program but would love to use a database program like the old filemaker one I have on my Mac laptop that may not be compatable with anything modern. Anyone know of something like this for palm or pocket PC? Calendar limits your text size. Ideally I could cross-reference runs I've done w/ a digital guidebook type thing. Anyone w/ suggestions would be appreciated
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #14
the zoo, Montucky
*now attempting to catch up my river log* Do it now, not after you've forgotten 3/4s of relevant details
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #15
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've been guiding a long time and my river log is really thorough. I list section of river, flows, milage, hours, and sometimes weird or pertinent information. I also list training runs in my log book also. You need to really have your training log and signed off check-out sheet run forever. If you have thorough logs and someting horrible happens in the future it could help keep lawyers or the state parks department off your ass. I just use a diary/journal book for my log book.
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #16
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
I keep my river logs in the groover.
I'm with you. I have occasionally kept scribbles in river guide books but that is the extent of it. For long floats where you have to figure out where to camp I think detailed notes are valuable, but I don't really write anything down out of pure laziness. I have rafting friends who are meticulous about that sort of stuff and I guess they have enabled me. I follow them to camp.

I'm buying a raft this year. Maybe I'll start taking notes now that I am going to have to figure out where to park my own rig at night. Then again, maybe not. I could just Google it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by upshitscreek View Post
I keep my river logs in the groover.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote