Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-15-2009   #11
The invention of BEER!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #12
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pretty much every time I slide into the fluid nirvana of an isolated river.

To me, anyway.

Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by hkydef View Post
No contest. The greatest moment in whitewater history is the first day I ever got to paddle a kayak. It was on the Casselman River in PA at the age of 9 way back in June of 1971. Back when the point was to miss the rocks entirely. Picture this: Jeans, t-shirt, canvas sneakers, horsecollar lifejacket (they called them lifejackets back then), Cooper hockey helmet, cotton and rubber sprayskirt, old school wood paddle, homemade 13 foot fiberglass boat (with painters), and one very psyched kid. Hooked for life.
This is awesome!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Not documented, but my vote goes to the first native american to successfully roll a kayak. That opened the way for all whitewater advancements since then.
mongrelboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #15
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Eskimo rolling a packraft

for me as a packrafter, when Tim Johnson rolled his packraft in an icy Alaskan creek in October this year -- now that was history right there, a moment when things for a style of boating qualitatively changed
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #16
GWS, Colorado
Blackadar's solo of Turnback. And Powell's descent of the Grand. And a whole bunch of others.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #17
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd have to say the days when the Disco, Mr. Clean, and other similar playboats came out. I remember playboats changing from the Dagger RPM to the Redline to the Vengence, or the Wavesport Kinetic to the Stubby to the EZ seemingly overnight! With some of the most radical designs of Savage and Riot... those were the days that I remember being the most exciting. Tricks changing from the ender to the cartwheel/splitwheel/wavewheel to the loop... the sport seemed to progress so fast, it was hard to keep up.

I just miss how excited everyone was at that time! The "pro" scene was finally getting more recognition, instead of the vanishing rodeos of today... I do love the creeking scene of today, but, damnit, I miss the fun of rodeo days!!!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #18
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
I second the birth of Joe keck; the savor of all mank boaters.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #19
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Hmmm...well, my (new) fav. is an account of a first descent on a tributary of the Amazon. My previous was Powell's expedition....goes without saying how HUGE it was, historically speaking for the evolution of whitewater pursuits. But I just finished a book that retells the story of a first D. in the amazonian jungle with less provisions, longer expedition, and danger. It's amazing to me that it's not more well known.

Theodore Roosevelt.....I just think it's so damn cool that an ex-president accomplished this (considering the type of people elected to office these days).

The man traveled through S. America for six months...it took them 2.5 months hiking through the jungle just to reach the headwaters of this particular river (The River of Doubt, renamed Rio Roosevelt after the expedition). They descended the uncharted river in old dugout canoe's and were on the water for 2 months. All told, Roosevelt and his expedition spent 4.5 months in the Jungle....which in my opinion poses greater threats than the desert. Sounds like there was some significant whitewater to navigate....MANY portages, waterfalls, etc....in friggen dugout canoe's!! It's a remarkable feat.

Very highly recommended read......if you're into first D's in uncharted territory.

The River of Doubt.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #20
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
first "clean" run at Shcooner Falls.

TheCanyonWren is offline   Reply With Quote