Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-22-2012   #11
Thanksgiving dinner redneck style

Canned turkey heated in a pot with turkey gravey from packets

Instant potatoes or fresh mashed if you can handle the extra 5 minutes of work..... use the liquid drained from the canned turkey to make the spuds tastier.

plain old stove top stuffing out of a box

a can or 2 of that crappy cranberry jelly stuff

add some of your favorites

This was a late trip meal for us on the grand and EVERYONE liked it..... even the cold wet and tired vegaterian...... she now eats bird.

nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #12
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This will probably tick off the river nutritionist, but we always do Frito Pie. Couple cans of Hormel Chili (its organic you know...NOT) with Frito Chips, sour cream, your favorite cheese and hot sauce. Open the cans and pour into zip lock bag. This meal is good cause its a hit with everyone, yes...even the vegitatrians love it....haBut after a long day on the river it really satisfies hunger. River Frito Pie!

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #13
Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
As my pappy always said, "Keep it simple stupid!"

Smoked turkey legs with scalloped potatoes and broccoli au gratin.

The turkey legs are already cooked, and only need heating. Also, they are usually vacuum sealed which is nice for storage on the river.

And who doesn't love cheesy potatoes? Many ways to skin this cat.

Pairs well with Strongbow hard cider. A hearty easy meal with a taste that should impress your friends.
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #14
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Panang Chicken Curry

This is a crowd pleaser that I'm preparing tomorrow for a 16 person Main Salmon trip the first week of July.
I'll freeze it in seal-a-meal bags and just drop them in a pot of water on the blaster to "cook" on the river.
For rice, I found the Uncle Ben's boil-in-bag to be the most forgiving when cooking outdoors and it is simple.
Other accompaniments include a cucumber raita and the meal is followed by an asian fruit salad (almond bean curd with cans of longans, lychees, rambutan, and mandarin slices).

Here's the curry recipe:

4-5 cans coconut milk (I like Mae Ploy brand, though others work fine)
~1 cup Mae Ploy Panang Curry paste (adjust for your heat preference)
~1/2 cup fish sauce
1 cup brown sugar
~40 Kafir (Limey) leaves
~15 Lemongrass stalks (use only the lower bulbous portion of the stem finely sliced crosswise)
~ 8 lbs Chicken (I use a mix of boneless, skinless breasts and thighs) cut into bite size pieces
~15 cloves garlic crushed / minced
20 - 25 scallions chopped into big pieces (~3/4")
1-1/2 packages frozen cut green beans
Grapeseed or canola oil
Toasted Sesame oil
Oyster sauce

In a sauce pan - Add coconut milk and curry paste.
Put burner on low - medium (you want the sauce to heat but not boil, if it starts to boil, turn it down - coconut milk will separate if cooked too hot or too long - doesn't affect flavor but doesn't look pretty).
Allow to sit for about 10 minutes then stir to blend (it needs a while to soften the curry paste before it can be mixed easily).
Once mixed, add fish sauce, kafir leaves (I tear them in quarters), lemongrass, and brown sugar.
Cook about another 10 minutes on low to mix sugar, then hold at simmer.

Cook the chiken in batches appropriate for pan size:
In frying pan or wok - wet pan with oils, medium heat.
Add chopped scallion and garlic, saute until fragrant.
Add chicken, sprinkle with oyster sauce (optional) and stir fry until fully cooked.

Add the cooked chicken to the curry sauce and let simmer another five to ten minutes.
Cool, bag (remove all air), and freeze.

- Jerry Malloy
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #15
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
We have toasted pita with some good hummus dip made up and avail as an appetizer while dinner cooking. Then serve koolaid+everclear and nobody will care what your dinner tastes like
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #16
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Forgot one of my favorite one pot meals for a small group. Could be double up easily for large group.

Pork roast. Boneless better for on the rio. I slit up some garlic and using a knife poke the slitted garlic down into the roast. Well seasoned.

Put as much heat as you can on top with coals. 8 to 10 under instead of the usual 6 or so. Start just the roast. Knock back a big double gin and tonic or about 20 to 25 minutes later add:

1 part rice, 1 part water, 1 part chicken or beef stock. Bay leaves of course and then cook for another long enough to suck back the second double G&T. Takes me twice as long to drink the second so 40 to 50 minutes or so.

Throw a lb or so of broccoli on top for another 10 or 15 and you are good to go. Add more coals if you need, with the water and stock you almost can't overcook this.

Not recommended to do the third double GT unless you wish to wake up face down in the sand. Or unless you have undertaken a training program.
How do I know this? hmmm.....

Jerry - that looks like a killer curry recipe. A little different than mine. I will try it out sometime. I actually did a 'Jungle Survival' training course with New Zealand army in Northern Penang when I was living in Singapore. Good times. We saw tiger tracks. This Idaho boy was impressed. Killer curries all through Malaysia.[/threaddrift]

I think I am going to try the shish kabobs on our August trip with several kids. They get to pick what they want on it so no complaints.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #17
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Jambalaya is a great one pot meal for a large group. Follow that up with a Bread Pudding or a Carrot Cake.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #18
Cedar hills, Utah
Paddling Since: 1988
our favorite is grilled rosemary/soy flank steak. grill over charcoal briquettes and built up fire. Pre marinate. Serve w boiled red potatoes and tiny, fresh green beans boiled for a couple minutes then finished in a frying pan with butter and kosher salt. Totally easy to transport, cook and clean up. SOOO good. I did $60 (Costco) worth of Flank Steak for 14 people. Every bit gets eaten. Totally amazing.

Another one is fish tacos. Fresh and delicious.

We do a mean chicken salad that can easily be adapted for dinner if you add pasta to it. again, easy to transport and make...
Swissriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #19
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I second all boil in the bag options. I like to cook but it's a pain on the river. I did all the food for my last mf. We had pot roast, spag w meat balls and homemade sauce, meat loaf, steak tacos, breakfast burritos and never had more than two pots to clean that had nothing but boiled water in them. I will always precook my river meals from now on.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #20
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A favorite with our group of diversified tastes is my take on Rachael Ray's "Spinach-Artichoke Ravioli-Lasagna" (below is my version of this all-in-one meal is for 13 hungry folks)...the secret of this dish as well as a killer breakfast casserole is to bake the dishes at home, cool completely, cut in hearty squares, wrap each square tightly in lightly greased foil packets and freeze...in camp, add a 1/2" or so of water to a large pot or two and steam until hot.

2 - 15 oz. cans spinach
2 jars alfredo sauce
grated nutmeg to taste
salt and pepper
30 oz. ricotta cheese
fresh lemon zest
garlic cloves, minced
40 or so frozen parmesan cheese and mushroom ravioli (or your favorite)
2 - 15 oz. cans artichoke hearts (in water, drained and sliced)
grated Parmiginao-Reggiano (or your favorite)
ground or sliced Italian sausage (cooked) - optional

Lightly spray or butter two 9 x 13" pans. Boil and cool pasta. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season pasta sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Combine ricotta cheese, lemon zest, minced garlic in bowl. Coat the bottom of each pan with pasta sauce and cover with layer of ravioli. Add layer of ricotta cheese mixture dotted with half of spinach and artichokes...more pasta sauce and grated cheese. Repeat layers. Bake until sauce browns and bubbles, 30 minutes.

Your choice of sauce, adding other veggies, etc. will make it your own...enjoy.

2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote