Old 10-04-2012   #71
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Hey Blue State Democrats! Will you send some democrats our way in Idaho??!! We could really use some reinforcements because we're buried by fat chicks and Republicans, not to mention fat-chick Republicans. HELP!! Colorado, don't bother sending any democrats because we need you to vote there. Just had to get political.....
You can either have red state and a relatively empty state, as Idaho is now, or have a blue and more populated state. Colorado used to be a solidly red state, but as growth happened, the inevitable shift to the political left happened. Colorado's shift to the blue went hand in hand with the increase in population and the woes that accompanied it. You won't like a blue Idaho as much as you do today's Idaho

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #72
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I will make one point in the midst of all this breathless sandbagging of Boise. It's a tough place to make a non-dirtbag living if you don't move there with a job. The economy reflects the town's isolation, which is too bad because it is an awesome place to live. Definitely don't move there for the career opportunities.

From my perspective, Idaho politics is a joke but easy enough to ignore. And boy are the taxes low!

As has been said before, paddling around Boise is top notch--especially if you favor big water and playboating over creeks and waterfalls. Not for nothing, but there isn't a decent play spot around Hood River despite all that water. The Little White and Truss are great, but sometimes you just need an alternative. Meanwhile there are several playspots in Boise when the water is up, and the park surfs at all levels. Kelly's Whitewater park is close, so are the Payette playspots, and the Salmon isn't far either. Oregon and Washington combined wish they had options like that--instead they're stuck in some dank wood-choked canyon wearing a moldy drysuit in the middle of July.

That said, you probably wouldn't like it. There's the fat Mormon girls, overzealous river rangers, an overabundance of lifted trucks, terrible craft beer (this is somewhat true), and just a general lack of that cozy Front Range ambiance. Plus the whole state is on fire at the moment, which means all the rivers will be full of wood for the next decade. Hell, you can't even buy the guide book anymore. Shit's beat. Move to Jersey.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #73
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
What's up with all this Manifest destiny, bitching and wining? I'm sure Idaho is sweet, but y'all don't own it. It is only your's until all the front rangers, who are also transplants, move there start a tech industry, raise the taxes and real estate values and force all you cry babies to move to Mexico. Don't Jersey Idaho, BRAHHHHHH!

ps. What's playboating?
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #74
Here is a vote for arranging your life so that you have the ability to travel. This either means a legit J.O.B. near a good airport, or a dirtbag lifestyle that gives you flexibility.

Running rivers requires a lot of travel. It's not like climbing where you can just post up in Yosemite and be entertained for 3 years straight without owning a car.

I love the North Fork. I love the Little White. I love California and BC. I like to hit them all every year. If you're trying to restrict your kayaking to given zone of a three hour radius you're going to miss a lot of good stuff.

The one advantage of living close to good boating is the chance to keep your skills in check between trips. That's why Boise/Durango/Hood/Asheville are awesome--consistent training opportunities. But if you eat enough creatine and watch enough Bomb Flow you don't need to train on whitewater.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #75
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post
I'm sure Idaho is sweet, but y'all don't own it. !

I actually do own some of "IT" and I do pay a fare amount of taxs each year on "IT"

besides all those dope smokin hippies from the front range will never leave once colorado makes pot smoking a required recreational activity. then the migration will be "out of Idaho." Mormans hate pot. Just saying!

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #76
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
It is Hood River, OR......period. Dose anyone know if they have an open position for a special education teacher at the high school level?
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #77
Right now the whitewater capital of the U.S. is Fayetteville, WV.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #78
Beckley, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by GoodTimes

AND...forget about getting lucky while you're visiting (at least from what I've heard...I'm married)...not only are they ugly as sin, but Idaho is chalked full of nothing but ultra-conservative Mormon girls...

Fat is an understatement...the only "in shape" people around here are kayakers. We don't have the crazy diversity of outdoorsy people (culture and vibe) of places like Boulder and Ft. Collins...or anywhere on the front range for that matter.
Don't be so harsh bro....fat girls need loving too.
rogvandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #79
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by Pizzle
What's up with all this Manifest destiny, bitching and wining? I'm sure Idaho is sweet, but y'all don't own it. It is only your's until all the front rangers, who are also transplants, move there start a tech industry, raise the taxes and real estate values and force all you cry babies to move to Mexico. Don't Jersey Idaho, BRAHHHHHH!

ps. What's playboating?
Tech is already here...and of course it's only a matter of time.

Yeah i'm a transplant...native co...and i'll always love co...but it sucks compared to when i was growing up on the rivers there.

It also sucks to picture the payette as clusterf&%ked as the ark.

Anyone that's never known "that" wouldn't understand.

Mexico is out for me...but chile is a real move on up
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #80
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
I hate to get into this fray, but have to stand up for Idaho here. I'm a native Alaskan who has made a home in Moscow, ID. Moscow may not be right on a river, but we are only 2 hours from the Salmon River, 2.5 hours to the Lochsa, 3.5 hours to the Clark Fork, and 4 hours from Hood River and all the rivers in the Columbia drainage, Hells Canyon, the Flathead River, and on and on and on. Lots of river runners are based out of Moscow because its a great central location to lots of whitewater....and the culture here is the exact opposite of the rest of Idaho (The rest of Idaho refers to Moscow as the liberal armpit of the state...and we're good with that because it keeps the xenophobes and crazies to a minimum).

Now regarding all of the Idaho bashing: Every summer the majority of boaters we meet on the Salmon, Lochsa, and Snake are from Colorado, Oregon, and my opinion out of staters are taking up our permits and crowding our camping! If you're more concerned about culture and the size of the women then you are spending more time off the rivers than on them...I haven't yet had a problem with fat girls or crazy xenophobes overrunning my Salmon River beaches....I've had more problems with entitled Utahns, arrogant Oregonians, and clueless Coloradoans (in general, not specifically, as we had a great trip with some Colorado families on the Salmon this year). If you want to bash Idaho and our whitewater just stay home; we'd be happier without you crowding our rivers!

Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote