Old 10-04-2012   #61
Boise, Idaho
Love the defensive posturing.

Born and raised in Southern Idaho. I also realize my faux-xenophobia and tongue-in-cheek criticisms of Idaho mean squat, especially to 17 people on a boating forum. Believe it or not, people will come and go regardless of what I (or others on here) say.

Fact of the matter is... for as great as Idaho is (and it is great), there are a number of things which keep people from moving here. Top of that list: jobs.

Yes, I do have a native-protectionism thing going on because, as others have said, we don't want it ruined. This doesn't mean anyone here will ruin things at all... but it's a numbers thing. It has happened everywhere else, and will eventually happen here. We saw it start in Boise from 2002-2008. Thank god for the recession. Hopefully it sticks for awhile.

Heck, Oregon tried the "come visit but don't stay here" attempt in the 80's. Didn't work.

As far as comparing "whitewater capitals" - it is all different to different folks. Who is to say one place is better than another? I know that here we have two (soon to be three) year round whitewater parks, absolutely epic spring runs within 3 hours of Boise, plenty of year round boating on the Snake and Payettes, at least 4 world class bucket list whitewater permit runs, and more relatively unknown/unrun rivers than any other state this side of Alaska. And tremendous skiing, mountain biking, hiking, camping, and fat chicks galore.

The secret is obviously out but then again... good luck finding a job and making a living here.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #62
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I love how all the Idaho residents are telling everyone facetiously that the state is full of fat girls and the boating sucks. I also wonder how many of them were born in that state. I love the "shut the door after" me attitude.

In Colorado, I have to say the Poudre offers boating for every type of boater.
From my previous post in this thread itís obvious that I am not an Idaho native. I've been here for the 1/3 of my life that I had the choice. Idahoboater said it well. I moved to Idaho because itís perfect for me and my life style as it is. I'll admit I'm a greedy person and I like to enjoy the outdoors with minimal people. If I wanted to deal with crowds I would have moved to southern California.

It could be worse, we all could be living in Kansas or North Dakota where they are having a blizzard right now.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #63
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Just be a raft guide in banks your set!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #64
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Idaho hart land native and I am serious, we have a ton of fat chicks. So, come get on it and take them back to your castle!
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #65
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Arkansas River Wichita
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #66
What about Whistler or Squamish? Endless water up there in BC and you can paddle year round A. You can get your huck on and run some big big water.

Asheville is a pretty sweet place to live for rafting and kayaking but the majority of chicks there don't shave their legs or pits which is a huge downer and just can't be considered "the north shore" of whitewater for that reason alone. No offense to the bros out there who are into that but most of us don't want to bang chicks that look like Tom Janney.

The front range can be epic on a good snow/rain year like 2011, however, we then have June 2012 when it hits 100 everyday for a month and clear creek peaks at 350 and people think its high.... not a good sign that it would be considered the north shore of whitewater. That was truly the nail in the coffin for me. Bailey was fun but the whole state was pretty much shut down except for a month in Durango. The front range is not a good place for rafting... there are no pools or eddies or water really.

BV is a joke although CKS is the shit!

Cali has the best runs but it is at least a 4 hour drive to get anywhere and for those runs you typically commit to at least 2 days. Cali is a lot of work.

Hood River has to be your best option for year round whitewater and a good scene. This place is definitely the "North Shore" of whitewater. You know it when you go to the local pizza shop and run into some of the most core boaters on the planet. Guys you have never heard of but are running the classics at huge water and pulling off some amazing cutting edge maneuvers. They live there for a reason. The first guy ever to retire from kayaking, Tao, he lived right there....what a tool

Good to see the buzzards getting at it in October. We need more shit talking and less seriousness on here. Always missing chunderboy!

Waiting on the rains up here in the PacNW.... it has not rained in months but the Pacific has all you can handle in a kayak.

Yeti.... WayneChorter would be pissed if he knew you mentioned him in a post. Always a gaper but know your place on here!
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #67
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hey Blue State Democrats! Will you send some democrats our way in Idaho??!! We could really use some reinforcements because we're buried by fat chicks and Republicans, not to mention fat-chick Republicans. HELP!! Colorado, don't bother sending any democrats because we need you to vote there. Just had to get political.....
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #68
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007

Here you go Aroberts!

oops, I can't work this was a pic of one of the surf waves in fargo.
BrianP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #69
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Born and raised in Lewiston Idaho. And yes I have been around and boated a river or two but I don't want to exclude others. I just don't want out-of-staters to come and enjoy what we have and then turn our state into colorado. I see that all the time. ppl come form other places because they didn't like where they where and once they get here they start changing things to califorina standards. We have a small populatin base and out-of-staters dictate alot of policy in Idaho. So, come and visit but leave things the way they are. ya know what I mean.
I absolutely know what you mean. It happens all over. People visit an area, decide they like it, and move there. Then they decide they miss something that they had and turn the new place into some version of what they left. I have a couple of properties in Idaho also. Oh, and by the way, Colorado isn't so bad either
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #70
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Hey Blue State Democrats! Will you send some democrats our way in Idaho??!! We could really use some reinforcements because we're buried by fat chicks and Republicans, not to mention fat-chick Republicans. HELP!! Colorado, don't bother sending any democrats because we need you to vote there. Just had to get political.....
Don't worry. Proudly a third of our state are independents and realize that the problem with our country is the republicans and democrats (and alot of our republican and democrats are realizing that nobody is out their to represent them...they just represent the party bosses).

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote