Old 10-02-2012   #41
york, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2012
The only thing im worried about is that pretty much all of the sierras is small towns. So getting a good engineering job around there would be hard. Colorado has more cities by the mountains like boulder, ft collins, denver kinda

skiyaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #42
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yeah, you have to make it happen for engineering jobs in off the beaten path places. But it's possible, i've been in missoula for 20 years. Cold call cold call cold call. Jobs are not advertised always in smaller communities, seek them out.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #43
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I say anywhere but Idaho. The rivers here are just lousy. Definitely not worth a trip from anywhere. Just a bunch of tight-ass mormons with ugly daughters running Aire Jags. I would certainly go Colorado and STAY THERE or go back to California. Or hell, go to Missoula; I know a gal there that would be glad to house a dozen or so dirtbag kayakers.
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #44
Idaho, Wyoming
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Idaho is loaded with fat ugly girls. Just saying. sorry - but true!

Those women are all related to someone in Utah, sorry but true.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #45
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
That's nice and all.....but it ain't the west

Never said it had to be in the west

Admittedly y'all have some purty awesome stuff especially when considering the multiday and wilderness runs we don't have. I've also never boated in the Pac NW.

I had to check my maps...In WV I have 302 Novice, Intermediate and expert whitewater runs of varying lengths (.25 miles-110 miles) and at least 87 ( 933.99 miles worth) of those are raftable in my 14 foot hyside. I also have 99 slow water floats mapped (1015 miles).

May not be the best, but it's hard to get bored with our year-round boating!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #46
Boise, Idaho
Anyone who has mentioned Boise/Idaho has obviously never boated outside of the area.

It's too isolated, the water is murky and filled with pesticides, cow piss and white trash, and is rarely at a raging flow. I guess it's okay if you like to SUP or tube.

The skiing and mountain biking suck here, too.

No culture, no vibe, no community... just a bunch of Mormons, Republicans and football fans.

I warn you all to stay away.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #47
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
Oh, and for good measure since I went to UND, the Bison suck!
The Bison sure haven't sucked the last couple years although a dozen of their players just pleaded guilty to voting fraud. I don't know the whole story but I believe they were forging people’s names on a petition to get legalizing weed on the ballot.

Ohh and the Boise Whitewater park sucks so don't go there. If you like any outdoor sports Idaho is not for you.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #48
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004

the passive aggressive attempts to inject Boise into the discussion have nearly succeeded ... please stop before it is too late.
biggb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #49
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Appreciate the attempt to sell boaters into the part-time / 1/2 season boating in the mountain states. ( ID/CO ). Keeps the traffic down for the full timers out west !! Keep up the good work !!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #50
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
On the contrary...i agree that the whitewater capitals for both rafting and kayaking are west coast (n.cali and pnw) and the south.

Sure we have lots of boatable miles around here...but you're only flows a couple months a year.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote