Old 04-09-2010   #21

Buck has done a fine job describing the typical run at lower levels.

Above maybe 8-9k, and certainly into and through the teens, you likely will want to be pretty close to the right wall when you start your pull. The lateral he mentions is there at every level, and a second, smaller one develops at higher levels as well. But if you have enough downstream ferry speed to break them, the boat turns very nicely, you're facing downstream as you take a stroke now and then for position, and look to your right and remark how glad you are you stayed away from the center/right.

I also would add that the Rock of Shock and Room of Doom are things to work hard to stay away from as levels get higher. There comes a point when it would be hard to get into the Room, because the eddy line actually produces a higher water level in the Room than in the main current.

But the way the water peels left off the Rock of Shock and dives down into the main current produces a scary toilet bowl that you really do want to stay away from, in the teens and above. At 14k, I once saw an oar from a flip up above come through the rapid and go into that vortex. It stood on end and dove straight down. Then it reappeared about 75 feet downstream -- launched into the air like a ballistic missile from a submarine. Powerful forces at work there....

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #22
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Can we do a ten page discussion of how to run Yarmony Rapid next? Jeez, it's class III. Read it and eat it.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #23
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Dude, some people like to discuss this to death, what's the big deal? It helps newer boaters, you don't have to read it if you've seen posts like that before. Everyone was a noob ones.

My first run down WW I was scared shitless, any info on the rapids was very welcome at a time.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #24
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Running Skull

That's why I hesitated to get into a "discussion" about running ANYTHING.

There are always those who think they know and/or enjoy carnage for sport.

Anyway, having had many a commercial river guide save my bacon at big water situations I hadn't seen before, take what you will from the advice giving and have a good trip. Friends of mine have been injured in Skull, and others drowned in Funnel or after, so when someone asks for advice I give it in good will.

RichP is correct - - at higher than 8K it is not as busy as I described but a bit harder to break left due to the laterals coming off the left getting bigger. Nevertheless, this is where "reading" the water comes in. Look down river damn it! Study the wave train and decide where you want to go! Right to left is generally speaking the run at Skull. Beyond that, it depends on the wave train and what it is doing. Low flows - - left early, before Razor. As flows get higher, you still have to break out of the wave train left, but maybe at a different point, depending on how the laterals are breaking.

Like I said, just blindly going left or right or anywhere is not good oarsmanship - - in the end, it IS all about READING the water and going where you want to. LOOK, READ, RUN!

Thanks Rich!

Buena suerte everyone!

PS Whoever added the note that pulling is always stronger than pushing was right on!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #25
T ride, Colorado
Best way to run skulll

Why on a blow up pool swan of course.
jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #26
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Can we do a ten page discussion of how to run Yarmony Rapid next? Jeez, it's class III. Read it and eat it.
I wonder if his daughter has seen a river board?

Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote