Mountain Buzz banner

What is running in Arizona?

Tags
arizona
3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  hobie 
#1 ·
I keep hearing tales of quick road trips. I would love a couple of days of creeking. Anything down south going now or at least soon?

hobie

#2 ·
Hey, I have a salt trip for the fifth. I have been watching the weather like a hawk. Every year we do this trip the same week. Everything looks on schedule for temperatures to reach mid to upper 70's in globe, az next week. When that happens most slopes around there let go of the low snowpack. If you watch the tonto creek gage and it gets to 500cfs, then alot of other stuff will be running too. Salt should be about 2000.
We have shown up at the salt put-in with 600cfs, set up camp wondering if we would have enough water. Waking the next moring the river had risen to 4000 overnight just because the temps got to 75ish in globe.
So I hope that this info helps. It won't be long.
We are trying to get some creekin in next week if your interested. A bunch of D-town boys are headed down starting wednesday. I work with Tony @ 4corners. Call him or PM me.
Later, Juanny

#3 ·
Well, being down here tests you patience and motivation for sure...but we are coming up with some runs lately. All creekin...not much play. In fact no play. But it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

If you want to get on some creeks down here, start watching this gauge (tonto)...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09499000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

if you see this start to rise AT ALL above 350 (which it should in the next coupla weeks) then pack your bags and bounce down here.

But other than that, for the past weekend or two, we have been hurting. Some ELF flows on a coupla first descents. I'd give it 2-3 weekends and it is going to be quality steep creeking season here.

Of course you always have fossil creek...flows year around, and now there is a clean 40 footer. check out the link here...

http://huckinhuge.com/Fossil_Creek_Falls.html

Just hike in above the damn on the "fossil springs trail". not hard to find at all.

See you all down here.. PM me if you need clarifications.

-Cody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.