Old 07-06-2005   #11
i think minivans are great. ours gets 22 to25 miles per gal and hold lots of stuff. 5 people 5 boats, and kick ass on snow backed roads. i pass lots of SUV's in the ditch.

bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #12
What a stupid biatch!

PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #13
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so now our stupid newspaper is running an online poll called "should the upper animas be closed" or some such nonsense. please go to and vote no! those dumbasses.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #14
Holy Shit no is leading but no by much. When did this country become so enamored with big Gov. ? sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #15
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
That is completely F#@$#ed up. I always thought Durango was a cool mountain community filled with active adventurous souls. I guess I was wrong. It only is half full of cool people and well I am not going to get into what the other half might be...
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #16
Example of education needed

I haven't chimed in on any of the things going on down south. First of all my thoughts to all who have been involved with the deaths and losses this year, both directly and indirectly. I have been in your position and I can understand what a lot of people are going through. I don't have comments on any of the "at fault" views that were discussed here. Life is a series of triumphs and failures. Sometimes the "failures" are greater than life itself. The triumphs are what make life larger than just existence.

Regarding the soccer mom - I can totally understand where Mike and others are coming from and that type of attitude (her's) is exactly the "bad press' that boating doesn't need. Not specifically because of the fact that people have died per say, but how those deaths are being percieved by a lot of people who are not part of the paddling community.

I guess all I want to say is this could be a perfect example of educating the general public. Whether that soccer mom is the typical, clueless, know-it-all that many of us have seen in life or not, I would suggest that in order to shed a positive light on a bad situation that "we" as representatives of the boating world need to at least relay the reality of the situation so that it doesn't result in some unrealistic government regulation that could affect a lot of the rivers we all enjoy. Maybe take a few minutes to express your viewpoint in contrast to what the press/news/gossip may be putting out there. A few cooments from your perspective could totally change the way she feels about the incidents and possibly the way she reacts to her kids when they are of age.

Having said that - I probably would have told her the same things if I were in your shoes.

Once again - my thoughts are with everyone who is part of this. It is so hard having someone ripped from your life at a young age. It is always hardest when those people are the "special one's" that impact the lives of everyone around them and push them to live their own lives to the fullest.

You call me on the phone, you say that it is crucial
You stick your fingers in your ears 'til they explode
I guess the business will be goin' on as usual
We must grab each others collar, we must rise out of the water
'Cause you know as well as I do that it's no fun to die alone
WspSteamboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #17
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Any time someone names an SUV after your town, its no longer a place you'll want to live if being surrounded by "cool, adventurous people" is a main goal. Read the John Nichols books (Milagro Beanfield War, etc.) for a commentary of what's happening to Western towns like Durango, Salida, BV, Taos, etc. Nichols wrote the series almost 30 years ago but foretold what's happening to places that we think of as "mountain paradise." Durango (along with many other places) is Nichols' Chamisaville.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #18
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Wow, she does sound like your typical colorado, annoying, know nothing bleeatch. I'm blown away that people would actually even consider closing a river. It also floors me that so many people think paddling class V is something to take lightly, people need to be more serious about their abilities.

Anyways I think the real people we should be going after here are the RV drivers. Is anyone else as sick of them as I am, If not, go to the poudre on a weekend!!! Anyone notice that at almost every single campground in every single spot there was an RV last weekend (or any weekend)!!! It's so f-in annoying these people, they bring along a mobile house, every amenity you can think of and on top of that they are towing another trailer behind that with the 4-wheelers...and they are always fat asses. Defend the heavyweights all you want but its true. And this market is only getting BIGGER.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #19
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i call them gasoline cowboys
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I can't believe +40% of (presumably) Coloradans want a nanny government to close down the river!

That makes almost as much sense as the 10 people who took the time to answer "I don't know" to a one question poll...

Roy is offline   Reply With Quote