Old 04-08-2011   #51
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
If anyone gets bumped from the Grand over this shut down, I would be furious. That said, don't mess with the Feds. I have a camp fire story about viewing elk through an artificial light I will tell you some time. The feds have unlimited resources and can make the smallest issue last years if you make them mad. Don't access a national park if it is closed. You can be banned for life. You won't deal with anyone locally. You will be thrown into a bureaucratic morass dealing with some ranger or attorney fresh out of law school in LA or Denver.

I really did not care about the government shut down until I considered this. For people to be bounced off a trip you wait for your whole life to get so a bunch of politicians on both sides can try to chalk up some points is reprehensible. I hope they get this thing done today.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #52
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
One more thought

Having your gear confiscated at the start of the season and held as evidence would really suck.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #53
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Just another reason why this country needs to stop solving the world's problems...and start solving our own.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #54
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
well they figured it out for now
Bamfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #55
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
There are different classifications for different types of lands. For example, Federal law applies to monuments, parks, military bases, federal buildings, etc. Local criminal law usually applies to National forests, BLM lands, Grasslands. Hence the Park Service runs rescues in parks, County Sheriff's run rescues in National forest land. I am not sure what the distinction is, but there is one.

That's why the Park Service shuts down parks, but you can still hike in a Forest. i would imagine that BLM and Forest Service rivers will be launchable, Park Service will not. If you want to run Cataract, launch upstream from Mineral (Spring I think) Canyon and see if you can float through.

You should be able to run Westwater, Deso & the San Juan, but the Yampa, the Grand, Big Bend, Gunnison in the park, and Cat launching at mineral or Potash will get your ass arrested, charged and all your shit confiscated. You also have to appear in a federal Court in the state it occurred in, like Salt lake or Denver. A serious pain in the ass if you're an out of state boater.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #56
Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
the fed's worked it out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote