Old 03-14-2008   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via Skype™ to Cru_Jones
What happened to the Palisade ww park?

So I just moved from Golden to Grand Junction and heard rumors there was supposed to be a new ww park on the Colorado in Palisade. Then I called the local paddleshop and they told me it wasn't going to happen. What's the deal? IAnyone have any links to articles on this? Is there any park and play in GJ?

Cru_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #2
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I spoke with Mr. Sarmo of the Town of Palisade last week. He said they should know if the park is a go in the next 30-45 days. The DOW is worried about the impacts of the whitewater park on the pike minnow and three other endangered fish that the DOW thinks still might inhabit the area. The town is doing a three dimensional flow study to demonstrate that the fish will still be able to swim through the park (even though it appears to have less gradient than the fish ladder they are building upstream). The park would have two features with 1.5' gradient. One planned for higher water and one for low. The design is on the permit application at the Core of Engineers website.

If the study is successful (by our standards) the Core will issue the perimit an they will start building the park in October. If the study is unsuccessful the park will likely be dead as the bureaucracy is too expensive. The DOW is very sensative to the potential habitat areas due to the scrutiny they have been receiving on the expense of the projects versus demonstrated success.

Otherwise there are three park and surf areas. One is the 5th Street bridge that comes in when the Colorado reaches about 8,000 CFS. It is also affected by flows from the Gunnison. The waves can be good, but change daily. Usually it lasts about a month, but washes out at flows over 10K.

Over 10K there is a hole located along Power Road (behind Albertsons/Pepsi off of Broadway). The hole looks kind of trashy. Boaters usually ferry across to the north side and surf the shoulder.

There is also a wave at the roller dam called Lucky Seven. I have not surfed it myself, but search this site and there are specific directions and access recommendations. When I drove by yesturday all the roller dams were up and it looked like it would be good to go (most of the people who know this wave are currently on spring break). There may also be a small wave at Big Sur right now with the dams up. I could make out some foam, but did not get a look at it (All of these are reported in the New Testament).

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #3
Commercial Paleontology
GJ Waterpark & Park n Play

Hey Cru J,

Welcome to GJ.

Originally there was a park proposed at the mouth of the canyon at Palisade which would have been probably thee best park in the state but due to major bureaucratic bulls**t it was shot down. The actual town of Palisade is now tring to get one passed that will be right in the town. It certainly won't be as good due to less gradient and just a smaller park plan but they are trying to get it lined up. Time will tell.
As for park & play there is not too much. The 5th Street wave is very good when it comes in but that comes in best when there is 6-8000cfs thru town & is also effected greatly by the Gunison flow becauase the wave is right at the confluence. It can be in for a week or up to 4 weeks just depends on the flows & match up of the two rivers. Should be fairly long season for it this year... There are a couple places that I do play at...nothing great & the level has to be just right but it is for me something to do when jonesing to be on the water.
Also there is the infamous M-wave but that is later when the irragation ditches fire up & is down Montrose way...more of a drive
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote