Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-29-2010   #11
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Hmm- I know that there is such a thing as decals or stickers that show someone has taken a SRT or WRT. I wonder if asking folks who have taken these courses to stick one of those on their helmet would be a good idea. (Kinda like the volunteer firefighters have on their cars.)
I dunno, I have worked with "holier than thou" authorities before and I don't know if something like that would help. But then again- it would let other boaters know who might be able to help in an emergency.

Just my .02

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #12
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I took one, but I wouldn't advertise it. I was given the advice that you want to rescue people and help people out, but you also want to do it anonymously and not advertise it. I see the point in terms of the rescuers maybe realizing you have a clue abouot what you are doing and may actually be a help and not a hinderence, but I'd still not do it personally. I'd do what the guide did, and worry about the consequences afterwards. A good attourney would never have let this go even if they didn't drop it.

It was an emergency situation and the guy did what he was trained to do in an emergency. The authorities probably did what they were trained to do, and what their departmental policies told them to do. In the end, after the emergency was over, cooler heads prevailed, and the right thing was done for the guide. Sucks it had to go that route, but I'm glad the right thing was done.

I bet he'd do it all over again too - without a sticker.....

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010   #13
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
The girl had been lost for 45 minutes.
The guide who swam across wasn't on the trip, he came from the office.
From every report that I've heard, the FD guys got to the girl before the guide did.

Don't get me wrong, I just voted against Krueger about 35 min ago in G-town, so no love lost there & this is one of the biggest reasons I did, BUT the story told by the guides is rather self serving & strongly understates how poorly they dealt with the situation.
It's by sheer LUCK that the girl is alive, and seeing a situation where a commercial trip LOSES a custy for nearly an hour, if I was one of the S&R staff I would have had little regard for the guides as well.
where did you hear the FD got to the girl first? That isn't what happened at all. the FD was there but they were not with the girl. she was cold, scared and crying on the opposite bank with no idea how the rest of her family was. The guides didn't necessarily handle the situation correctly, but I've known Ryan for over a decade now...he's one of the strongest and most compentent boaters I know. He was simply doing what his boss told him to do. go help!

I know things seem to be done a little different out here. I guided with Ryan for nearly ten years in TN on the Ocoee. When accidents occured there, the rangers stayed out of the way and let the trained guides handle the situation until the injured party was in the ambulance. However, there was never confusion about who was compentent or who was just a first year guide. We saw the rangers every day and they knew us on a first name basis...huge difference compared to search and rescue out here who don't know the guides at all.

I'm happy that it all turned out ok.
glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #14
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Got to & found are two different things. FD saw her first, but Ryan wasn't far behind & crossed to get to her first.

I don't disagree with what Ryan did, his buddy on the other hand... that's another story.
All I'm saying is we've heard a very one sided story on here, and good people were pitted against good people that day, some acted more responsibly than others.

Hopefully the groups will work together better next time, far as I'm concerned, S&R is great, glad they're here... but I'd rather have a guide pulling me out of the river.

Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote