Old 09-24-2006   #11
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I use the next lighter trailer:
It folds up so that you can store it in the garage instead of turning your yard into a parking lot. Pretty light weight, but sturdy enough to have made multiple trips to Sand Wash (once with two complete raft set-ups - but I was going damn slow that trip...). I pull it with a CRV, so I too wait until I'm on the W. slope to fill up water.

Pulling an inflated, fully rigged boat is nice (I love my commercial put-ins), but probably not worth it unless you live really close to the river. And definately not worth it if you're going over a pass: A) the boat blows out from too much pressure, or B) your dry box rubs a hole in the floor from not enough pressure.
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
What do you do about the wheel wells, can you build the deck up over them?

woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #13
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hey, Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it and the links to trailer companies are great.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
You get what you pay for at Harbor Freight.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #15
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
if you go on craigslist, you can easily find a used alum sled trailer for way less than most of these prices, if it's a 2 place aluminum, it'll work.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #16
Da Fort, Colorado
I have a 2001 Outback and just got finished lugging my buddies 4X8' Harbor Frieght special around with my 13.5' raft/frame/oars/cooler etc. around CO. I was just doing day fishing trips so I didn't have a lot of gear. The Sub did very well heading up the mountains, no problems at all. I kept things very light though. A V6 is nice, and this might have been tough on my little 4-banger, but you don't need a V6. Still got 23 mpg even with the trailer.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #17
Boat Trailers

I agree with the posts recomending sled trailers. I've got a 8 X 12 snowmobile trailer called a SledBed which I bought from Trailer Source on I-70 in Denver. Its been subjected to some very hard use over the past four years, carrying everything from furniture, hay, and a 1970 Saab Sonett with no problems. Its made of aluminum so its light and won't rust, and has nice rails along each side that give you an infinite amount of tiedown points. In addition I do commercial floats with it so its been in the water at least fifty times, I just unplug the lights before putting it into the water. My cataraft is also 14' and I wouldn't buy a trailer any smaller than that for that size boat.
Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #18
This could be you!
rock_ski_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #19
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have the 4 X 8 Harbor Freight. I originally got it because I could fold it up, and deflate the raft in the winter. I ended up building a platform on it, and the extra weight makes it ride much better on bumpy roads, but the platform makes it so I can't easilly break it down and fold it up. I have a 13foot boat. I built sides to box in the deck inside the fenders, and then fixed 2 wide boards like cross bars over the box. The raft rests very nicely on these boards, and there is a "bed" underneath for paddles, etc (although I don't use it much because I drive a truck.

Keep in mind that the HF trailer comes shipped to you as a 200lb package of cross bars, nuts and bolts. It took me several full afternoons to build. Like they say, you get what you pay for. Mine will be an expiriment to see how long a $350 trailer makes it. I don't know if I would take it on a very far trip, like Westwater (last time, I just used the air pump at the put-in), but it works well for my home-based day trip rivers.

The trailer with boat fits snuggly into my "boathouse" (econ sized 1-car garage). With the inflated boat on there, I can rig and run in about the same amount of time as when I kayak. Pretty sweet deal. I think next one will be a sled trailer, if I ever have a big enough place to store it, however.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote