Old 10-05-2007   #51
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
Mike- We are taking a 35 gal drum with us. It stands up in the back of my car. You have to sacrifice something, right? The trip willl require about 60 gal. I have a 16 gal tank. the rest of the trip we will buy biodiesel on the road.
Nicely done--And here I was being a smartass!

Another effective sacrifice we made on a road trip to Cali was to simply drive slower. We took the only vehicle available to make it in one rig--my mid 90's Suburban with a big block. It normally only got 10-12 mpg. We drove to and from and around Cali with a srict speed limit of 65. I watched mileage diligently, and we averaged 14.5 mpg. I thought that would be impossible with that vehicle (still not much to write home about). My days of running in the 80's ended on that trip. Incidentally, it is also alot easier to avoid crap on (and off) the road when only going 65--something to consider when driving in zombie mode at 5am.

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #52
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
WalMart and the big companies usually only receive negative publicity on the cover of CNN, etc. Here's an example of a big move forward that will probably never even make the newspaper. . .
BP Solar Completes First Installation in Walmart Solar Pilot Project (Oct 3, 2007)

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #53
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Has anyone mentioned xeriscaping? I hate people with lawns. It takes away from my paddling season.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #54
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I glad that xeriscaping has come in this post. I will admit that I love having a green grass yard. But I am also very content on reducing, reusing and recycling. But I have a few questions about xeriscaping. I am uneducated about this so please educate. I agree that a yard uses to much water but if we go to xeriscape my questions are

1: Will it reduce our air quality in the citys not having C02 breathing plants?
2: I would imagine that rock holds more heat than grass which would increase global warming!
3: Supplying more rock to everyone would destruct more land!

Just a few questions. Like I said I dont know anything about this so maybe you will change my mind.
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #55
Indian Hills, Colorado
There are times that I love all the green lawns in denver. It is when it makes bailey run! Greedy front rangers!!!
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #56
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
switch to organic ferilizers. the lawn will love that shit spray it with a good compost tea. also way better for the environment.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #57
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by ecarlson972 View Post
1: Will it reduce our air quality in the citys not having C02 breathing plants?
2: I would imagine that rock holds more heat than grass which would increase global warming!
3: Supplying more rock to everyone would destruct more land!

Just a few questions. Like I said I dont know anything about this so maybe you will change my mind.
Xeriscaping means using plants and other landscaping that dosen't require supplemental irrigation. So you can have lots of plants - they just have to be able to survive with rain water in our climate. Rocks don't require water so they qualify - but xeriscaping dosen't require rocks. Many people also include drip-irrigation as part of xeriscaping which opens up more possibilities for plants.

It is true that rocks hold heat longer than say grass - and that means that their release of heat occurs over a longer period of time, but i don't think that results in a net gain in heat absorbed by the earth vs reflected back into space. The color of the rocks would be key in determining this. Light colored rock is going to reflect much of the heat back without absorption.

Finally, you are right suppling more mined rock causes more environmental degradation. But you would also have to answer the question - which is more environmentally costly: growing, mowing and fertilizing grass or mining rock and then having it sit in your yard. I suspect in the long run the rock is more environmentally friendly than the emissions associated with building and shipping your lawn mower, your running it (lawn mowers are generally high pollution devices), and the production and application of fertilizer. But that is pure speculation on my part.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #58
There is a lot of low hanging fruit with reducing our carbon foot print. We don't have to become hermits and reduce our carbon foot print by 90%, but a bit of effort can do 50%.

I do a bunch of this stuff already. Things like adding insulation in the attic, replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact flourescents, and getting a more fuel efficient car. (VW/Subaru rather than a 4-Runner)

But, a lot of reducing carbon foot print requires either big corporate action or government action. Things like pumping CO2 back in the ground. And, I'm a bit bothered that I'm doing my part, but others aren't doing their part. I think we need some government action to improve bulding codes for more insulation, raise car fuel economy, start forcing utilities to pump CO2 underground, and especially incease funding for alternative energy supplies.

So, perhaps the best thing we can do is support politicians who support doing these basic things.

By the way, most diverted water is not caused by cities, but by farmers. And, the per person usage of water on the front range is about half that of the usage on the west slope.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #59
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Global Warming

I bike to work daily, Shower in cold (helps me get ready for winter kayaking) cut down on ice in my drink (120 watts per cup of ice), use my own mug instead of getting a new cup each time. Bought 2 used Honda Civics, don't spend money in Vegas, Disney land, etc. skin back up instead of using the lift when skiing. Makes me and the earth in better shape.

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote