Old 10-02-2007   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
consume less

I think the key is to consume less, no matter if it is "clean", "green" or "mean". Biodiesel won't save the world, it will only make ADM and Monsanto the next energy giants. Put them up against Exxon and see who wins. We also cannot grow enough energy for our activities. Even if you "go green", minimize. Our current level of consumption is not sustainable, regardless of whether or not the energy source is.

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #22
conifer, Colorado
El Flaco, although Fred Singer may be paid by the oil/tobacco industry he does make many valid points. If your interested in what over thousands of other scientists who disagree with Algores 2500 scientist, who all don't agree 100% with his vitriol, you might want to take a look at Singer's speech at Hillsdale College...or can't we believe verified facts because his talk took place at a conservative college. As for the case of CO2 and temps correlation doesn't prove causation I believe is an old scientific slogan. Al Gore tells more lies in his movie then Fred Singer has ever made in mistakes.

Do yourself a favor and go to Imprimus Hillsdale College and read the synopsis of Singer's lecture. By the way, GW never said Climate Change was a huge human caused problem that scares him...what a crock.

mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #23
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
It's surprisingly easy and affordable to go off the grid these days if you build somewhere that isn't already on. For a 2000sq.ft. house it's $20,000-40,000 extra to go completely self sufficient: wind, solar, and well with capacitors and backup generators. Wind and solar are a good combo as any time you can't get power if it's not sunny, chances are it's blowing. Obviously, these figures are somewhat dependent (and might be slightly dated, 2-4 years) on location. There are some great books and other resources out there on going off the grid. Numbers I heard for this setup were that you save over 500,000lbs CO2/year and break even on the installation cost in 2-5 years. I would love to do this when I build a house.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #24
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

can't you get a government grant for getting set up with solar and wind?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #25
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
We're shopping for a house in the next 8 months. Can't we buy an existing house (already on the grid), install your said items and just reverse the meter?
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #26
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I believe you can, I just don't know what the extra logistical complications are of doing it that way. There was an amazing seminar/roundtable on the topic at CSM last year but it mainly focused on doing it when you are building. I'll see if I can find my notes and give you some references for books, literature, etc. on the topic.

I don't know about the details of the government grants. If you do it on a macro scale (Vail Resorts) I believe you can. If you do it for your own home, you can get tax deductions but I don't know anything more than that on the topic.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #27
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would say this is a very important thing to think about.
With an environmental design (Architecture and Urban and Regional Planning) background I have studied this way too much!

We will always have to drive to paddle, carpooling and driving efficient cars, i guess, is better than nothing.

Biodiesel is not as good as everyone thinks. It still takes an excessive amount of space to grow, time, money and chemicals to process and there is still waste as a result.

Besides what everyone else has said I would add...

1. Don't live in is aweful!
You have a huge ecological footprint (look it up) and it also has way too many negative effects on your life as well as on the earth. It is probably the worst thing you could do; You have to drive everywhere (work, school, recreation, entertainment) and the average person spends 4 hours in traffic a ten years you will be spending double that, you take up unnecessary land and resources, the houses are not designed for our climate and have not even taken into account the site.

2. Buy/build/remodel a house/condo/row house etc. that reacts to its environment… meaning Vernacular architecture. 50% of waste is created through construction and a significant amount of energy consumed is from residences. Design the structure using passive heating and cooling so you do not need to depend on Excel. Use eco-friendly materials ie: low-e double pane windows, envd friendly insulation, envd friendly paints and fabrics, faster recovering woods and so on.
Wind is awesome for Colorado, hook those suckers up! PV panels are still not affordable or practical for residential design, but if you are investing in a commercial property, they are worth it (for use in peak hours).

yup yup!
"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #28
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Biodiesel may not be the best solution for solving our energy needs. Especially if we are growing crops to be used to make biodiesel. If you are recycling waste veg. oil, it is a great thin....Nonetheless, it is a great thing for locals to be aware of. I recycle the used vegtable oil to make biodiesel. It takes some time to process but you don't have to babysit your processor while it is doing its job. And the chemicals are minimal especially if you can recover the methanol used in the process. So it cost's between 20 and 70 cents to produce. The waste is glycerin which can be made into soap, shop de-greaser or can be composted or can just be burned for heat. Either way, this IS a great product. PLUS the major thing is:

WHEN IT IS USED AS FUEL, YOU HAVE VERY LOW EMISSIONS. And the emissions that are produced are not green house gases and can be recycled in our atmosphere.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #29
Hey all just bought 1800 sqf house we plan to retire in. We plan on going solar it is already well and septic so I will keep everyone posted that is intertested in going off grid. However we are on a 5 year plan and it is Wind powered now.

Paddlebizzle A house in Highlands Ranch went solar so my guess would be anywere could. Well and septic would be diffrent.

Cukayakgirl. I call BS on most of your Suburbia rant.4 hours a day? Don't be a clueless hater you'll end up a Bush Christian
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #30
Feel sorry for these suckers below. I just walk down the hall. Average here doesn't include other time going to and from stores, friends houses, recreation spots, and of course bars. Maybe not 4 hours per day, but sure is a hell of lot more time than I want to spend in a car. Rather be boatin!

For a global perspective:
"Tokyo commuters spend 106 minutes travelling to and from work, more than most places. But not more than Oshawa, whose commuters spend 111 minutes. In the United States, the average worker spends 49 minutes travelling to and from work, compared with 63 minutes in Canada."

moshe is offline   Reply With Quote