Old 10-01-2007   #11
Paddling Zero impact? I always seem to wonder how many tons of plastic the fish eat from the bottom of our boats.

My solution: Live at the put in. Live at the bottom of a ski hill. Buy used things. Use your old boat until the duct tape comprises 25% of it. [but I want that machine that does double loops...] - makes me examine my motives. Whatever you are doing, thanks - it is hard to find the old ways of having fun when we are raised on candyass living.

msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #12
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Check this out.....
I bought a 2002 VW Jetta Wagon turbo diesel. It is a 5 speed and can still hold 2 boats on the INSIDE. But this is the best part, it gets up to 50 mpg. I have been running nothing but biodiesel on it since i bought it and my last tank i got 46 mpg. I have been collecting waste vegtable oil from the colorado school of mines (good oil and i can get almost 200 gallons per month from them alone (free, obviously). I built a processor in my garage and convert the waste french fry grease into biodiesel. I am currently producing bio for about $0.70 per gallon and am working on a methonal recovery still. If it works, which it will, i will be producing for less than 20 cents per gallon. My wife, son Aand I are driving to Atlanta and Nashville and back to denver over christmas and it will cost $12. PLUS:

Diesels are more efficient than gassers and biodiesel produces 78% less emissions than diesel. Plus my emissions are completely recycleable in our current environment.

I am installing an oil burning stove in my living room that runs on, you guessed it, biodiesel. I will heat my house this winter, FOR FREE and emission free . Guess what, there are diesel generators! We grow our own veggies, compost, recycle and i have lately been collecting rain water for filtering. We can almost go off the grid right now, especially if we install solar panels.

I can show anyone how to make bio and can teach you guys how to do it, it's really then you can drive to that put in in Montana and not give a shit!

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #13
Nice Johny. My brother in law and myself are working on a plug in/ solar adapter for our hybrid. Although we are just in the starting phase it would be nice to plug your car into your solar powered house and not burn any fuel. And at this point I will admit I am doing this for fiscal and selfish reason's. Don't want greedy oil men or Mentaly Ill third world despots dictating my life style. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #14
B.V., Colorado

Recycle? I think my cousin bought one of those for hunting.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #15
Geologist, Colorado

Sweet, good luck with that and let us know how it turns out. Solar panels are expensive, but I think you can get some tax credit with them. Plus, Excel will hook up your panels to the grid and if you produce more power than you use, or if you are not using any power and your meter rolls backwards, the power will go back into the grid and they will pay you for it. Personally, I would set up some capacitors to store the unused power.
Old 10-02-2007   #16

Thanks for the positive responses. I am definently looking into wind and solar. They sound like good long term investments. Any ideas on the most efficient and eco friendly building materals? Looking to get off the grid.
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #17
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Jonny, how do you go about collecting this waste oil and how much waste do you need to produce 1 gal of bio-fuel? I would love to stop paying $3/gal. If you run bio-fuel can you switch to the pump if you are on the road?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #18
Geologist, Colorado
To collect oil:
Pull up to the oil "dumpster." Put my barrel transfer pump into the oil and the outlet tube into a large container, turn the crank and fill the container. I have a coarse filter on the inlet part of the transfer pump which rejects chicken bones and such.

No need to do any "switching" on the road. Biodiesel is safe and requires no modification of diesel engines, as long as the vehicle was manufactured after ~1997. Older vehicles require swiching out fuel hoses.

Oh yeah:
1 gal veg oil + 20% methoxide + heat = 1 gal biodiesel + 20% glycerin.

Methanol can be purchased at race fuel shops and is $3.15 - $3.50 per gallon. If you recover the methanol in your process, you can use it for the next batch and greatly reduce cost.
Old 10-02-2007   #19
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Seems like a pretty big issue for river oriented folks because of the exteme droughts and floods directly linked to global warming. Just wondering if any one had good ideas??
Don't have kids. Best thing anyone can do.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #20
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Forget the big stuff. Only legislation, Washington, and Lobbyists will change the big ticks. As for day to day stuff, my thoughts are as follows:

1) If you commute, try to do part if not all via bike. This is true if you are in Carbondale, Vail, San Francisco, or Denver. Do it 2-3 times a week. Kayaking is NOT an aerobic sport, so you'll trim some of those love handles anyways.

2) Recycle, recycle, recycle.

3) Keep your thermostat on low/off when you aren't home, and wear a sweater when you are.

4) Screw AC. Get a swamp cooler or attic fan.

5) Get rid of the fancy SUV. Do you really need it? Most SUV's go offroad less than 90% of the time, and AWD is better than 4WD with truck tires anyways. My dream was a brand new Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD with shell and roof rack. My next car will probably be a Honda Element or Subaru Outback (insert hippy joke here).

6) Go Biodiesel if you can.

7) Purchase wind-credits from your local electricity provider

Keep the hot water heater only as warm as you need it for dishes and showers. 10 mins of hot water is enough, and if you take longer showers, you're wasting water to begin with.

9) Donate to your local environmental non-profit and skip the movie theater for a night.

10) Install energy efficient lightbulbs in your house.

11) Check for drafts in windows and doors, and fix them. Same goes for extra insulation in your attic.

12) Buy local. Sounds stupid but less transportation costs, and less "carbon footprint" in the food you eat means less energy consumed. Plus it is hippy-friendly anyways.

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote