Old 04-08-2004   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Caspian, I'm not sure but I was there in June and thought the level was 16,000. I think it was 22,000+ last year at the peak. I remember watching it come down as my permit came up. I'm not sure where to confirm the actual peak. A group of Euros flipped their raft in Skull right after us, it was pretty damn funny.

Do you think the Big Sur with happen? I have never been but would like to go this year. Is 20,000 the magic number to jump in your car?

cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #12
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
What flow does the Room of Doom literally become a room of doom? The only time I was there everyone, including the rafts, eddied out in it on purpose.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #13
I hit westwater last year at about 13,000 and it was definitely at the room of doom level. There was about a 1-2 foot drop on the eddy line from the current to the eddy.
zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #14
Yeah, rafts tend to avoid getting caught in the Room after about 8K or 10K, the eddy line gets pretty much impossible to break in a raft.
I doubt Big Sur will run, it usually only comes up when the lower elevation snowmelt coincides w/ the higher mtn runoff. This year the lower stuff is already gone.
Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004   #15
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
cosurfgod, yeah I think you're right, it did peak higher than I said last year.

As for the Room, it's plenty bad at the levels noted above, and the eddyline tracing out from the Rock of Shock (the border between the Room and the main flow) is TERRIFYING. It looks like it would take a swimmer down all the way to China. I've heard (place grain of salt here) that the BLM has plumbed the river just below Skull and it is 200 feet deep. Hmmm...
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004   #16
The Room

Yeah, I've heard something along those lines...think of all the river booty at the bottom of the room. I bet you could oufit a company with it all

Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote