Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-06-2011   #21
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
River Rafting 101, 201, 302 and 401 all in one post. It is like getting a drink of water from a fire hose, look luck. Just like in kayaking the more ROLL technique's you know the better off you are. In rafting the more ROWING techinque's you know and combined along with read and run skills will help you dance down a rapid in style. For some rapids and mean flood stages, fast moving rapids you will have to use the eat shit and die technique for punching through them.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #22
Reformed kayaker
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to manifestphil
Originally Posted by N. Wigston View Post
The biggest issue i've seen with rafting is groups getting clumped up, and then there is not enough room or time for everyone to stop in time to scout, or whatever is needed.

Water reading also changes a lot, because you are so much slower than in a kayak. Moves have to be planned really far ahead. And the raft builds up a lot of momentum, so you can easily over shoot lines.
I absolutely hear you here. I feel like I've rowed enough of other peoples boats to have the basics down, but I'll keep working on managing the momentum of the boat better.

Originally Posted by Solgear View Post
For thwarts that are sewn in, you can cut the threads (carefully) and the 2 pieces peel apart without putting a hole in the stitched pieces that hold the thwart to the tubes. Then clean it up, abraid it, and glue on some bat attachments available through NRS or some similar company.
I know the thwarts aren't sewn in. They're basically glued directly to the inside of the outer tube. I'm really concerned about messing these up and creating a problem I didn't have. Will probably see what I can do to get an experienced person to help me out on this one.

I'll be using the boat as a paddle-rig on the Gallatin River, so whatever I end up doing will need to have the ability to have the thwarts put back in. I'll talk to my local boat shop and see what happens from there.

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
If you take a swim in big water, grab a breath in the trough of the wave, not at the crest, which will always splash right into your mouth as you're sucking air.
I've learned that one the hard way!

manifestphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #23
TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
If you don't want to remove the thwarts yet, you can deflate them completely, and pack around them. drybags could probably go under them.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #24
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983

The quintessential book on rafting, “Whitewater Rafting” by William McGinnis is a must have. Just checked Amazon and can be had for a small pittance. Don’t let the year of publication scare you. The art of rowing a raft is timeless and William’s book details the subject ad nauseum. Any question you have will be answered.

Even though it has been mentioned previously the best piece of advice to keep in mind when running rapids is to think like a rafter not a kayaker. The transition between the two can be unforgiving. In a kayak you flip your hips just above a monster hole and you are skirting it. In a raft you have to think three moves ahead. There is no flipping your hips and moving a ton of ice and beer plus that tube tart at the last moment.

“There are two types of rafters, them that’s flipped and them that’s gonna flip”
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #25
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I found these pages helpful when learning rope work.

Simple Machines

Mechanical Advantage Basics -this page is great. The writer uses rope, prussics, carabiners and some items that you can find around your house. Gives you an idea on how to set us some systems and ideas for practicing.

Knots are the weakest link in the chain. If at all possible, substitute a prussic loop instead of a knot, like at the attachment point of what you are pulling on.

As per non locking carabiners, we had a discussion on the board a few years ago and the general consensus was, if you are going to carry any carabiners on you or your boat, make sure they are of the locking type.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote