Old 05-21-2012   #11
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Do not beat a dead horse. Look at the river bank and mark your spot. After rowing for 5 to 10 min. and have made no progress, SAVE YOUR energy and eddy up. As the wind dies down try again, repeat as nessary. It's just going to be a long day.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #12
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Bring an engine.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #13
Salida, Colorado
I carry a kite in my dry box when the wind blows out she comes the wind get pissed and dies down
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #14
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by whip View Post
I carry a kite in my dry box when the wind blows out she comes the wind get pissed and dies down
Good idea need to remember my parafoil as standard raft equipment
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #15
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I am howling at this one. Lot's of yammering on about wind, yet no one has pointed out the most obvious: that wind issues depend heavily on direction.

Any which way...if you even contemplate forces of nature causing you to cancel an overnight trip...DO NOT DO AN OVERNIGHT TRIP! Nature doesn't stop and in a world of rapids and rattlers, you must be prepared to be uncomfortable at times and be able to care for yourself.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #16
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't understand why the wind would be a problem. The wind ALWAYS blows downstream on West Water, always and forever.

And as a soft gentle breeze too, just enough to tenderly push your raft up on shore at the take-out.

Then Playboy bunnies and forest and desert nymph(o)s come bounding out of the lomas, stripping off clothes as they gracefully bounce toward you, elegantly bending over to lift your raft, load it on the trailer, then give you a lucky good-bye kiss before you travel home...

at least that's what I always imagined when gale force winds and 2 foot white-caps were blowing back to Last Chance.

Little ashamed to admit it, but I actually think W.W. has the wind potential to be strong enough at the put-in to turn me back. Don't know how much it would take, but I can imagine looking at my old man and saying, "no way brutha."

I've been snowed on a half dozen times running W.W., been in there when the canyon walls were flashing to the point that the falls coming off the sides were simply unnerving, run W.W. alone in the winter, been burnt to a crisp on days that were too sunny... I think W.W.'s wind is the most brutal element I've ever experienced on a one day river trip.

There is nothing more hate-able than the W. on W.W.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #17
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
These responses are hilarious! I'm buying a kite for my trip next month.

We never have problems when we go, but we are the rednecks with the motors. Last year was interesting when it was running 20,000 CFS. From put in to take out it took us three hours. No motors.

I'd never miss a WW trip. One of my favorites.
Curtiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #18
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
You're right, not sure there is a better one day trip in the Americas.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #19
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
We did it on Saturday, made it to camp(Miners cabin) in an easy 1-1/2 hours. Tag a long out fitters pullued out with their motor1/4 af a mile down from the put in ramp and left a guide with 2 overnighters on their own aroup of 6 on 1 boat made it down to lower d, apparently plenty of people skipped out on their permits so the ramp was clear and he river was wide open and beautiful.
We lost a few layers of skin from the sandblast but the wind died down overnight and did not pick up until we got back on the river again @ 10am. But it was way less than saturday. I have a freind and he canceled his permit, I called him and let him know he was a pansy cause a little wind only makes the trip better and you know you can handle it come future trips.
BTW it was a fucking HUGE WIND, but we still had a blast, literaly
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #20
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

We only spell the word once we get on the river.

The last 6 miles of Westwater is what made me buy a good 4 stroke motor to use when needed. Have used it on Deso and Catararct canyon since then.

Yes, we are rafters, but pain should be in doses tolerable.

Just did the upper Coolrado last Saturday. Used to say that their are no bad days on the river, but after pulling the raft along the shore line and taking 10 hours to do 8 miles I have changed mind. Over 1 foot white caps going up river will do that to a person. Check the weather for wind and plan accordingly.

Happy rafting!

chateaunoname is offline   Reply With Quote