Old 03-18-2005   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The Little Delores is actually the (usually) dry creek bed that runs between the two camps. If you follow it up, you run into the little waterfall / pool.

As for the software, it's really not that expensive or hard to work. There's a guy on eBay that's selling the version on the software I'm using (DeLorme Topo USA) for $40.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Short notice but do you happen to have a couple of spaces for two kayakers that wanted to put on with you tommorrow and paddle through as a day trip?
Anyone else out there with spaces? If so please contact Warren at (970)946-8796 or
Thanks for your time,

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #23
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Just to let you know what you're asking of Waterpooch.

If you split up the group you launch with the way you're talking about then the permit holder could be subject to penalties/fines/being banned from WW for a year, etc.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for the heads up, Andy.
We would be willing to do the overnight if you don't mind some mellow company. Just an idea.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #25
I wouldn't worry about launching with a group and doing your own thing. I have done this many times and never had a problem. I have also straight poached westy 10+ times and never had a problem I could not talk my way out of.

Andy don't be such a puss.

I have poached many rivers and in the world of boating you have to poach sometimes to get it done.

next.....the upper salt!
Surfpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #26
I think you are pushing fate. The rangers aren't everywhere, but they float the river and do check the take out. The tag on your boat very clearly gives the number of boats and people in your group.

You will be caught eventually.

Overall, I am really impressed how unspoiled the permitted rivers (WW and others) are despite so many people paddling them. Also, people do die on Westwater. The regulations aren't that onerous. The BLM does a good job of administering Westwater.

The rangers are all really nice guys that definitely take the approach of let's help the people have a good safe time. But, if you violate the rules, they will nail you and they should.

In fact, I think your story of poaching all those rivers and always talking yourself out of trouble is probably bullshit. And definitely NOT COOL.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #27
Hey guys I hate to be the jacka$$ but I do not have permit for this weekend to westwater.

The point of this post was suppose to be an inside joke for a few fellow mountain buzzards. Sorry for misleading you all.

On a side note though you all have given some very valuable info on westwater for fellow paddlers. I am sure that you all help out a few people with your posts thanks.

As for the poaching from the above post. I agree .... Not cool. That is how runs get closed off to paddlers. Keep yourself in check
Waterpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #28
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
15 of us did WW this weekend and it was mighty chilly. Camped at Little D. With all the rain I kept checking to see if Little D was getting higher so I could walk up it and goof off in my playboat. All those little slides would be cool if you had a little flow in there. Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming, but you have to admit you've thought about it too if you've hiked up there. I was really impressed with how the canyon looks in a torrential downpour. All those water-cupped walls in the inner-canyon turn into 1,000 waterfalls, some of them fairly substantial. Cool experience to float in the desert during a thunderstorm. I've never worn so many clothes in my boat in my life, but the surfing was as good as ever. And there's never a bad time when you start off the day with 5 Lbs. of bacon. . .

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. BTW, for the amount of use that run sees it's pristine. I'm pretty impressed with the permit system and I've never had a problem getting any date I want with a little prior planning. Compare that to the Salt, any of the 4 Rivers in ID, etc. and I'm impressed with what the WW BLM'ers do, even more with what they don't do. The ranger this weekend was Kyler (sp?) and I thought he was pretty understanding and fair. Did his job, offered advice, pointed out my dogs' shit so I'd clean it up, all stuff that he should be doing.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #29
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by Schizzle
And there's never a bad time when you start off the day with 5 Lbs. of bacon. . .
A truer word was never posted...

And Kyler is a good guy, no doubt about it.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005   #30
You guys are a bunch of slack jawed pussies. All the great paddlers I know live by the poach on any river. (I won't name names for obvious reasons)

Just a bunch of front range pussies just waiting for someone to give them permission. Keep up the good work!

God bless the Chunderboy!

Surfpimp is offline   Reply With Quote