Old 09-12-2006   #1
Westwater Question

We have a WW permit for the weekend of Sept 23-24th. Just curious about water temps. From the historical graphs, it looks like the water temp should be around 60 to 65 degrees. I have a whole crew of kayakers which should be fine, but we do have 10 rafters along for the ride. I'm hoping that they will be fine on the river with just pfd's, swimsuit, sandals, etc. Or do you think they will need wetsuits and such. Thanks in advance.

mfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2
It will really depend on the air temps and how sunny/cloudy it is - if it's in the 80's they should be fine, but if it's in the 60's I'd want a wetsuit. Or at least shorty's and splash gear. And each eprson ash to know their own tolerance of cold - epsecially passengers who will likely get splashed more and will be doing less work to keep warm. Better to bring extra gear and not need it...

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
T ride, Colorado
west water

was there this past weekend with a batchelorette party of 23 women (4 where 5 mo pregnant). It was warm for a while but I had a rash guard and dry top on for the rapids and the longer you surfed the wet er you get. It will give you inspiration for the flat water at the end. Bring warm stuff along for the ride you may need it when the clouds roll in. PS Sock it to me is worth sufin.

jenneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #4
today it is between 63 and 66 f. Last week was about 2 degrees warmer. You can add temp in as a parameter for the guage on the usgs sight.
wrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #5
I think no way can you get by with a swimsuit and a pfd this time of year, unless you are really lucky with the weather. It would work in July & August.

That batchelorette party sounded like fun. You should have posted on MtnBuzz asking for safety kayakers to join you. Yea, right.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #6
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
its the wind, evaporative cooling. It is always windy in WW this time of year. hf

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote