Old 09-12-2006   #1
Westwater camping question

Hi folks;

I've got a permit for the canyon on the 18th. The permit says that we can camp the 17th above the canyon, but not past mile 124., the gates. Question- w/o a river map, can you help me figure out where that is?

And question two: can anyone recommend a nice campsite for 9 people between the westwater station put in and the gates of the canyon?

Thanks for your help.

BTW- we have open permit spots if anyone is interested, and if yer 'cool' man.

bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
First off, I'd really suggest buying a map. As for your question: the boat ramp is at mile 126 and camping is restricted after mile 124.5. If you want to stretch the trip out a day try launching at Loma and camping at Black Rocks on the 17th. If your permit is for the 18th, you'll make some unhappy rangers if you try to float by on the 17th - and when the Westwater ranger ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3

My understanding is that you are not allowed to float past the ranger station untill the day of your permit. The first camp that you can sign up for is Miner's cabin and is about 4mi down. If you want to camp on the river the night before your permit you would have to run the Ruby/ Horsetheif section starting at Loma and is 26mi long. It's an easy 2 day trip from Loma to westwater but you couldn't pay me to sit in a kayak for that trip. So that bing said you have two other camping possibilities for the night before your launch. You can camp at the put it. The drawback to that is the ranger in 200yds away, dogs have to be on a leash and if you have loud niebors that can suck. The other option is to camp at the take out. It is basically a dirt parking lot and I don't think that there are tables but there are bathrooms. If your people are comming form the east it is easy enough to stop by the put in and drop the boats in the water then head down to the T.O. and camp. It takes about 45min from Westy to the TO. if you take the short cut. If it has been raining check with the rangers for the road condidtions. If there is significant water under highway don't try it. The mudd is bendenite and you with spend way more time being pulled out than just driving back to the Highway to the Westy exit.

If you really want to spend the night on the river you can camp after the canyon which is defined as below bald eagle camp. This is a nice option but be aware that you can't sign up for the camp know as cow patty on river Left. It is first come first serve. I have been there and had a commercial try to tell us that we were in their camp. Needless to say we sent them packing. The other nice thing about camping at cow patty is you are leagle to split the group at that point and if people need to leave the TL can't get in trouble. The rangers are very adament about groups staying together while in and above the canyon and I have seen them wright tickets.

Have a great trip and stay safe
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #4
Short cut is washed out and not passable except with dirtbike or mtnbike. Take the Hwy.
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #5
Buy a map! Make the rest of the group chip in for it!

[says one of the people in the group]
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #6
Gunnison CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02

how many open spots do you have?
Clarkzg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #7
yeah, we should buy a map.

So the mileage runs downstream then, with 124.5 being upriver of 126, right? ok, so no sneaking past. damn.

we are already planning to camp at blackrocks sat night, and I guess the putin sunday night. too many of us have limited days off so we are running the whole of the permit section monday and driving home afterwards

I believe we have plenty of openings, unless we already relinquished them? it was a 20 person permit and we have ten? nine?
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #8
Paddling Since: 1994
it would make for a long day but you could layover at blackrocks and go all the way through the canyon the next. at these flows i have left blackrocks early and made the ranger station before noon. that leaves time to run the canyon though it is a big milage day. the worst part is driving the drive after said day.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote