Old 05-05-2009   #21
Whitefish, Montana
the consequences should be highlighted as westy does not have any real safe zones once you are in the said, be prepared for a long, dangerous swim, one that no one would like to entertain doing.

Safety behind the rafts is good so long as the other kayakers you are paddling with are solid and can manage themselves, otherwise three kayaks is hard to regulate especially since the rafts will be moving fast.

If you are psyched, bring your boat and camp around little D. If that rapid and the eddies above freak you out, you can always put your boat on the raft for the bigger water.

Be prepared, last year we did a trip at about 13,000 and had two gear boats, paddle raft and some kayaks. The paddle boat flipped in Skull and that alone was enough to manage with swimmers getting away from the rock of shock.....

Be smart so you can do Westwater again at a lower level.

purpleyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #22
Seattle/ Denver, Co/Wa
Paddling Since: 2008
El Flaco- thanks for the advice. There's no room on the raft, so I'm gonna bail.
I guess I'll try again June 28th. I have a few extra permits if anyone wants to come.

sweetrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #23
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If westy is in the teens or above and you don't have a bombproof roll you made the right call. I went my first season in Oct around 3k and the eddies kicked my ass. Even at 23 I was wasted by end of day and learning to roll became my winter's mission. Only missed two rolls in the next 15 years after that experience. Get in a pool do a hundred rolls each session and be ready for June, it won't be any easier then. Had a friend who lost his boat above skull at high-high which allows no portage. He climbed the canyon walls and came down with a cattle skull which was left acroos from the room o doom. Still there?
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #24
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

sent you a pm

Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote

big water