Old 03-12-2009   #1
Werner Paddle Q

For those of you in the know. Is the performance core blade on the shogun worth 100 bucks over just getting a carbon powerhouse with a standard blade? How much difference does it make? I also notice the shogun is heavier than the matched powerhouse.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #2
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I haven't paddled a lot with a shogun but I have used the powerhouse a bunch. I am now to the point where I think it is just worth it to get the fiberglass version.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #3
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
This first happened three years ago, then again a month ago.

Bought a carbon fiber shogun, said it was the best feeling paddle I'd ever used. Then broke it when it shouldn't have...and back to fiberglass.

Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #4
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I haven't paddled with a carbon paddle ever. However, I absolutely love the powerhouse. The blades do wear down denying it. But I've never seen one snap in half deep in some canyon or out on a trip where a new one is not available. They're bomber. The bent shaft fixed my tennis elbow from paddling so much. I really see absolutely no reason to consider another paddle if you're a creeker (but I do carry a Lendal in case of operator error involving a swim).

For reference, I creekboat 80-100 days a year and buy a new Powerhouse every 2.5 years if I don't lose it first.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009   #5
Thanks Joe

If you can get two years, I should be able to get five.
Old 03-14-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
I have paddled with a powerhouse carbon and fiberglass one. i think there is no reason to get the carbon one, I had mine for about a season (100days) and the blades were so worn down on it that I lost a lot of power. so I figured why spend the extra money if the carbon one wears down just as fast if not faster than to fiberglass one. Also I like the fact that I can see the fiberglass one in the water after I swim.
All that being said I made the switch to the sho-gun this season after a few of my buddies had them and the paddle wore down minimally.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #7
Bethesda, Maryland
It seems like the way to go is the fiberglass powerhouse (heavy??)or the Shogun with the core blades. I understand that the core blades do not wear down. I am more interested in these blades because of the wear down factor then the floatation. I am pretty easy on a paddle as long as the blades don't wear down. I need one of these soon.
mattskayaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #8
Thanks for the input. Decided to opt for the powerhouse carbon, not only because I found a great price [20$ more than fiberglass], but was mezmorized by the 34 oz. I currently have a rough stuff bent carbon that feels like it weighs about 40 lbs, thus the over-corrective reaction. Will likely buy a fiberglass next based on the conscensus, and will give the Shogun a few more years to declare itself.