Old 05-09-2004   #1
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
Webcams for kayaking

Has anyone ever considered putting a live webcam on a river? I used to do a lot of surfing and it was one thing to get a swell report as a number but it was quite another to be able to actually see a live video feed of my favorite breaks so I could decide where to go. To see what I mean, check out Anyway, I got to thinking, and I figured that the same thing could work for rivers. I mean, it's one thing to get a cfs report from the web, but wouldn't it be cool if you could check the level by actually looking at a live cam? The second thing that they would be great for, and this is the part I think would be the biggest hit, would be to put a cam at a popular play spot, i.e. the steamboat, golden, salida parks etc., so that you could watch people playing live while your less fortunate ass sits at work. This would be very feasible in most any whitewater park that runs through a town, especially in Steamboat because the library is right there so you would have power, internet connection, and a place to actually mount the cam. On top of all this, I don't think it's very expensive because I remember some local kids installed one at one of my lesser known surf spots out in California and I'm pretty sure they were on the DOLE. Just my thoughts on one of my many whitewater fantasies....
The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules