Old 11-02-2009   #1
steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Weather in the grand durring march.

I may be heading down the grand in march and wanted to see what peoples experiances might be with the weather in the canyon that time of year. Any info would be very helpfull,

striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #2
I had clear dry weather for mid-March this year. Our first night at Badger had a hard freeze followed by a warm day. The second half of the trip at the end of the month got into a pattern of showers every three days. The rain didn’t amount to much, but the wind was bad. The coldest day with the least amount of sun was in the Muav Gorge below Deer Creek. I was surprised the temperatures weren't warmer when we got to Lake Mead than at Lees.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Grand Canyon National Park Weather Page

average high - 71º F
average low - 46º F
Precip - 0.79 inches

I went down the canyon launching Oct. 29th last year. Very similar average temps. You will get more sun. It was a great trip. Probably had 6-7 days of 80's, a lot in the 60's-70's and a few with highs in the 50's. The only freeze for us was at the put-in. Had rain twice. One really windy day - thankfully we had chose it as a layover. I have heard that April and May are windy - not sure about March. It is generally great hiking weather. Occasionally good weather for a quick swim. It is warmer a bit up from the river - 10-15 feet up is all it takes. The opposite works in the summer heat - sleeping on the boats is cooler near the cold water. Muck boots (ie cement boots, rain slickers) will be your best friend in camp and while loading/unloading the rafts - and going back to the rafts at night to find and get whatever you may be looking for.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Bring shorts, sandals, a drysuit, stocking cap, cold beer and a warm girl. I think that is pretty much all there is to say.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #5
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I've done 3 March trips, one was perfect highs in the mid to upper 80's and low's in the upper 40's, one was mixed bag of nice and cold and wet weather, and the other one was pretty much cool to cold the whole trip. So bring lots of warm clothes and warm weather cloths because you never know what you're going to get. At large tarp is a great idea if it's rainy.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey there. I went down this past March and was surprised at how warm it was. We woke up to frost 1 out 21 days. It was perfect. Everything was perfect. Did I mention that it was perfect? We got rained on once, and that was perfect too. Somedays, it probably got as high as a perfect 80.
Enjoy it and let me know if you someone to row - my lines will be....sometimes perfect and other times...less than perfect! : )
Take good care!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #7
steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the information!

striker is offline   Reply With Quote