Old 12-30-2008   #1
We Probably Should Have Waited . . .

Hi All,

A highlight of my year in 2008 was the week I spent as a volunteer with the First Descents camp in California. My words cannot adequately describe how moved I was to experience first hand how the combination of outdoor physical challenges and the bonding of young people with the common experience of dealing with cancer can positively impact people's lives. Now almost 6 months later I see the campers continue to share their experiences and support each other via the Yahoo group one of the members created to stay in touch after camp. Seeing almost daily messages ranging from progress in college, to check ups that show cancer free exams, or just good natured smack talking, is like a gift that keeps on giving. This challenge, support, and sense of community comes as a direct result of the First Descents camps that are free to young people with cancer.

Please take a few minutes to read the message from Brad Ludden and watch the video in the link below, and if you agree with me about the value of their mission, consider joining us to help First Descents continue to challenge and help so many young people who are facing down cancer with extraordinary spirit and grace.

My best to all of you in the new year,

We Should Have Waited.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #2
Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Good thing you didn't wait to post!!!

Good thing you didn't wait to post!!! It couldn't have been a more perfect time to post such an inspirational thread!! An awesome motivational video!! It is the beginning of a new year "2009", and there's no better time than now to start it off with helping someone out!! Whether it is just simply directly donating to a worthy foundation, or even participating in an event that donates their proceed's to a foundation or foundation's!!

Which leads me to my next discussion, the "Vertical Challenge"!

Sorry Mike B, didn't mean to steal your thread, but I couldn't help myself after watching the video!! It's time to get people hyped up to help out!!!

For those of you who don't know, here's the link and a short break down!!

EddyFlower Vertical Challenge

EddyFlower has partnered with First Descents to raise money for a great cause. What better reason to paddle when every stroke you take raises money for young adults with cancer! First Descents offers young adults with cancer outdoor experiences that will forever change their lives. The 2007 & 2008 EddyFlower Vertical Challenge competitors raised over $34,000 and sent 35 youth to kayak camp.

The goal is for each member on each team to raise as many donations as possible during the event for First Descents. All donations raised go directly to First Descents to provide cancer survivors with a free, week long kayak camp in Colorado. The top 3 individuals who raise the most donations for First Descents win a new Dagger Nomad 8.5, Aquabond Carbon Paddle, and WRSI Helmet. For fundraising suggestions, review the Ambassador Fundraising Package and Vertical Challenge Fundraiser documents for ideas.
(Prizes and support vary each year!)

islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #3
No problem Nick

You can hijack this thread anytime with that message Nick.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote