Old 03-07-2013   #1
Frostburg, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1991
We lost one of our own

I hope the mods will will respect this and let me bring attention to the I Swim for Bob Day pool party that we in the recreation and parks department at Frostburg State University is putting on. The purpose of this event is to help raise money for the Robert A. Norr Presidential Merit Scholarship fund. Robert Norr was a recreation and park management student here at Frostburg State University that unfortunately passed away in a white water kayaking accident. We put on this event on every year in his memory to help recreation students in their education. The stusdents planning this event would like for any help we can get support the cause. The event is on April 21,2013 and registration begins at 11am in the Cordts Center. All donations that goes to the scholarship fund. Every dollar helps our cause. Thanks again!

Registration Page Link
I Swim for Bob Day! Registration - Frostburg State University

More info:

The “I swim for Bob Day!” was a memorial event for Robert Norr a Recreation and Park Management Junior who died tragically in a kayaking accident in West Virginia on January 8, 2012 doing what he loved. This loss rocked the foundation of the Recreation and Park Management Department which included faculty, staff, and students. This was the first loss of this kind that the department has experienced in decades.
One of his dear friends, Alex Coleman, approached Dr. Blankenship about wanting to hold a memorial event that would establish a scholarship for Recreation and Park Management students in his memory. As Alex said, “I never want anyone to forget Bob.” The idea was planted and was feed through the sorrow felt throughout the department and the need to do something to honor this beloved student, friend, and family member. The students decided to hold a fun event that captured the spirit of Bob and what Bob loved which was kayaking, swimming, and having a good time. The project was led by Alex Coleman and was taken on by the Recreation Senior Seminar class which he would have been enrolled in with Alex. The concept was to have a pool party to do what recreation people do best, have a good time in respect to Bob.
The first I Swim for Bob Day was help in April 2012 and over 100 participated in the classic pool party with games, food, music, and fun. The efforts of 9 weeks of work resulted in the Robert A Norr Presidential Merit Scholarship fund becoming endowed with $30,000 of gifts and a pay through scholarship of $500 being awarded to the first recipient in June 2012.
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote