Old 08-09-2011   #11
Clarkston, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Thanks for the clarification, Joe. If you are in touch with members of the group I'd appreciate if you'd pass my suggestion along.

raft2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #12
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Terrible news. Could anyone clarify...did he get caught in a whirlpool or was it really a recirculating hole?

biggb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #13
Three Rivers, California
Paddling Since: 2002
I'd gotten off two days before and flows were considerably higher than the image below. I'd heard it was low by Sunday, but probably not this low. The hazard is on the left of the picture.

darinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #14
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by darinm View Post
I'd gotten off two days before and flows were considerably higher than the image below. I'd heard it was low by Sunday, but probably not this low. The hazard is on the left of the picture.

A scary looking spot indeed.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #15
Truckee, California
thanks Joe

Out of respect for Allen, Lisa and their families- while I believe your lessons were well meant, this is not the time or place to be placing blame on those involved. In this accident, a 70' rope would have made little difference in the rescue. Every rope thrown to Allen missed by within inches, we just couldn't connect in the brief moments that he re-surfaced within the pothole. The fact is, these dangers exist throughout rivers, be it class II or V. We all know it, and we all do everything we can to minimize the risks, but sometimes fluke accidents can happen. All of us that were there wish more than anything that there was something more that we could have done, but a longer rope would not have made the difference.

Allen was an amazing individual and I feel very fortunate to have gotten to spend the time with him that I did, especially on this run. My heart goes out to all of Allen's friends and family, and especially to Lisa.

JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #16
#1 rule of Creekboating:

I have no idea on the details of this tragedy and no idea what did or did not make a difference. But the number 1 rule is definitely not being followed in Colorado by all groups. It is fine to have a small life jacket throwbag, but every time you get out to scout you just have to have a habit of grabbing the big bag out of the back of your boat. I have definitely seen people driven to tears by a group when they did not follow this simple rule. Without it you are worthless. You don't have time to run back up if someone fires it up and you never know when someone will fall in or come floating through.

Then when you set up safety you only need 2 things
1) a good angle on the danger spot
2) a tie-in to a tree or rock or other firm footing.

That's only 3 things to remember and you will never let your group down. Pretty simple when your best bro's life is on the line.

Let's have a RESURGENCE OF SAFETY ON THE RIVER all around. Educate the younger guys in your group whenever possible. Practice live bait swimming. Give someone a hard time if they scout Gore without their bag.

Take a class, some of the best river safety teachers in the world live in Colorado:
Nick Wigston - on the front range
Matt Wilson - Swiftwater Rescue Training | River Rescue Courses in the southwest

Feel free to add more instructors b/c there are more great ones in CO. Let's fill some classes up this fall so everyone is set for next spring.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #17
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Jay that was a repost from Chris Harjes who was there and got him out with another friend and performed the CPR on Allen. He was venting and made some observations. No one is blaming anybody and Joe meant no disrespect to Allen, Chris or the other involved.

Like you said things happen on the water and we have lost too many great folks to such an amazing sport as Kayaking.

My heart goes out to all my friends hurting, along with Allens family. Super rough year for far too many. RIP Allen

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to DanielGlauser
I spoke to one of the guys who pulled Allen out last night, it sounds like safety was set and folks were being smart. Joe's re-post has a lot of good points in it and wasn't meant to be disrespectful, more like someone trying to come to grips with the fact that there was nothing they could do to prevent what happened. I've been in UC numerous times with most of the folks who were on this trip and have even helped pull someone off of the sieve in Cherry Bomb Gorge with one of the rescuers. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the folks involved would do anything they possibly could to prevent what happened. An incident like this can send a shockwave through the community; the family, friends of Allen and folks involved in the rescue will all have to heal in their own ways. The best thing we can do is to stay chill and be there for them. My condolences to all who knew Allen and those involved in the rescue.
DanielGlauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Horrible news. My condolences to friends and family.

Its a harsh reality that even teams of seasoned veterans doing all they can sometimes isn't enough.

With that said, the thoughtful reflection relayed by Joe and the "resurgence" in safety idea by craporodan are meaningful ways we can all learn from this experience.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #20
To be clear my comment is NOT IN RELATION TO THIS INCIDENT. It is just an overall observation of this year and the state of WW. I have no reason at all to believe that this group was not completely on top of it and did everything right. In whitewater, you can do everything right and still have terrible results. In fact it is rarely human error when things go bad in WW. I should have started a new thread instead of cunting up this one. I send good vibes to the group and family.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote