Old 01-02-2013   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sad news. My condolences to the family, friends, and loved ones left behind.

I didn't know Eric well, but I paddled with him a few times. Eric stood out as quite a character, which is saying a lot since he stood out amidst a scene of crazy kayakers.

I'll never forget seeing Eric firing off his gun while Freemont chugged a bottie beer. Everyone who paddled with Eric had a host of crazy stories to tell about him.

Farewell Eric.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #22
Steamboat, Colorado
RIP Eric, I'll miss you my friend...

Kandee, my condolences to you and Eric's family. Eric was a great man who lived a huge life. I'll always remember our adventures together, his big heart, and his drive to push it just a little further every time. My thoughts are with you.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #23
I only paddled a few times with Eric, but they were memorable and I really enjoyed his company. He had a great energy and was quite a funny dude. His thread here on the Buzz about paddling with a trashbag drytop was classic! I'm really saddened to hear of his passing and feel for his friends and family. RIP Eric, you lived life to the fullest.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mini Me SUP thru Pine View...

A small glimpse of a fun, memorable day Eric spent with my family...we'll miss his smile and fantastic sense of humor. So sorry for your loss Kandee.

Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #25
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Thanks for the clip, Frank's! Made me laugh. Still missing that focker and wishing I got to say goodbye.

Here's a nice article the Greeley paper did about him. I thought it was a good summary of his life. Plus it talks about his love for wild and scenic online places.

Greeley man dies on peak in Argentina |

He has a growing facebook memorial page. Like it if you'd like. Some nice pics and tributes to the man.

Eric Nourse Memorial | Facebook
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #26
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I didn’t know Eric well, but I found myself on the river with him a few times over the last several years. The first time I met him was when Roy and I were looking to rally a few others to do a Big South run. Our conversation (to the best of my memory) went something like this:

Roy: This mountainbuzz guy Eric Nourse is going to meet us at Ted’s place. Hopefully it works out ok.
Me: What do you mean?
Roy: Well, he has an interesting sense of humor.
Me: What do you mean?
Roy: Well, I called his phone and got voicemail for his flooring business. The message was something like “You’ve reached Eric Nourse with Nourse Flooring. At Nourse Flooring, we’ll get down on our hands and knees to service you.”
Me: Should be an interesting day.

When we did meet Eric at Ted’s place, he offered to drive his truck up the canyon and I shared a ride, just the two of us, for the hour long drive up. I immediately noticed a couple of firearms in plain view inside his car, but after him offering some deliciously elk jerky, I decided he probably wasn’t going to shoot me.

About half an hour into the drive he began to crank his head around me to look out the passenger window. I offered him a quizzical look and he explained to me that he’d been shooting at a marmot the other day and wanted to see if he could see any blood splattered on the rock. I believe that was after he told me how shortly after moving to Colorado he’d decided to solo the Narrows at 6’ in his playboat, said he’d almost killed himself and decided not to do that again. I began worrying more and more about who I’d just struck an alliance with. But once we got on the water Eric made smart decisions and was a solid boater - albeit a bit rusty.

But here’s the flip side of the somewhat intimidating stocky guy with lots of firearms. Eric also engaged in pretty interesting conversation for our entire drive. He seemed to take a sincere interest in my life, my work, where I grew up, how I got into boating, etc. He told me about growing up in Oregon, some of the adventures he’d had and what seemed like a bottomless list of things he was excited about doing.

I later figured out that it was hardly chance that I found myself getting a ride up the canyon with Eric. He was the type always offering to lend a hand. I remember arriving at Escalante one spring day, doing a late evening lap with no shuttle set, and at the takeout, before I could even set my boat down, Eric was volunteering to shuttle us back up to get our car. The next morning at Escalante we were sitting in an eddy above the gorge and out nowhere comes some guy in a Villain with a helmet prominently decorated with stenciled words: “CHAINSAWS, GUNS, BEER, WOMEN.” How could you not laugh? You know damn well he did love all those things, but he had a wicked sardonic sense of humor. Eric grabs the eddy with us and explains that he woke up late, everybody had left, so he had to solo the run to catch up with somebody - can he join us through the Gorge? Of course! Something fun was bound to happen.

I remember another time running into Eric and his crew on the Slate where some huge log was blocking the entire river. Eric was there bear hugging the end of the log, ass in the air, trying to figure out a way to extract the log - another one of his favorite pastimes.

One last thing I’d like to point out is that he was out on the Big South the day Derk (Count) died. He was noticeably moved by the incident and placed a small tile with an inscription to Derk on a rock in the eddy in the middle of the drop. Look for it if you’re ever there. I thought it was a kind and thoughtful gesture that also exemplified what sort of person Eric was.

Honestly, I thought the guy was a little crazy, but good crazy! He was the kind of guy that makes life interesting. I can only offer my sincere sympathy to all Eric’s family and friends. I’ll miss running into him on the river. The Colorado boating scene won’t be the same without him.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #27
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Damn! I just got on the buzz for the first time this year and this is what I found. I offer my condolences to his family and friends. I am not going to pretend to be his BFF, but every time I boated with Eric it was a great time. He makes me think of the word "big". Big truck, Big camper, Big smile and a big mouth behind that to talk some shit with. That is usually how I remember him just talking lots of shit.
This sucks and I am sorry for those who were super close to him.

I actually have pics of what Kevin was talking about at CB in the above post. I also have a shot of him in rip your head off on Daisy/Slate. I was laughing my ass off when we were trying to get that log out cause eventually it just looked like Eric was trying to hump the log.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Crested Butt 011.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	675.4 KB
ID:	5913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Crested Butt 013.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	5914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Crested Butt 009.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	5915  
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013   #28
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I never met Eric but i guess a good thing to come out of this is i have since become better friends with his surviving twin Greg. I am sure his spirit will live on.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #29
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Thanks for those pics, RealDad. That was a good day.

KSC, Well put. And I totally forgot about his voicemail messages. They were always changing and always cracking my ass up. How could you not love and laugh at somebody like that..he was the good kind of crazy.

A couple days after Derk died he and I went back up there to put that plaque up. I told him I didn't want anything to do with putting it up because I didn't need some earth-huggin Colorado tree humper getting all bent, like they did about the Little South wood removal we did. But it totally speaks to how kind and thoughtful he was. Not many of you ego freaks would do something like that for somebody you barely knew.

Chainsaws, guns, beer and women. Eric would be proud to know I'm now a gun owner. I'll be lightin up street signs in his honor.
Old 04-12-2013   #30
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Great slideshow from his memorial service.

Eric Nourse's Slide Show Video from the Colorado Service - YouTube