Old 07-19-2009   #81
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
My thoughts and prayres go out to you Derk and your family and loved ones! You will be missed Stay strong all!

Normal is a setting on your washing machine!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #82
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2004
RIP Bro!

Our Thoughts and prayers are with yall.

mwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #83
steamboat springs, Colorado
I am terribly sorry for your loss, my husband was the C-1 boater Encampment 6-13-2009

Originally Posted by ZL1988 View Post
We are Derks parents. For those who helped him thank you so much. For everyone who has posted kind words, it really means a lot to us. Derk was a wonderful person and we loved him very much. He had a passion for Kayaking. He simply loved it and was doing what he loved. He started kayaking when he was about 8. We offered him a trip as a graduation present from highschool. What do you think the count chose? Not europe, not spring break in Mexico, he chose Canada and we went for a week on the Ottowa and a week of rivers with the Madawaska Kanu Center. He chose Colorado School of Mines because it is a great school and there was a kayak park within walking distance. He joined the kayak club freshman year and was president sophomore and junior year. He loved turning people onto kayaking. He worked summers with an engineerning firm to support his kayak habit. It was not by chance the firm, among other things, designed kayak parks.He went to Micos Mexico to run waterfalls in warm water with his good friend Jordie. He had so much fun he convinced me to go with him and 6 other people the on the 33 hour road trip back to Micos the next Thanksgiving. His enthusiasm was contagious and he was right it was an amayzing trip. The next year after saving up enough money he went to Chile to run the Futaleufu. He could not find anyone to go with so found a company on the Fu and went by himself. He loved boating gore in the fall and had boated Big South before. He boated the middle fork of the salmon a couple years ago when it was 6.2 at the put in. He got a permit for the main fork of the salmon this summer but couldn't find colorado friends who were available the week of the permit. He hooked up with some boaters who he had never met who were coming off a trip on the middle fork. He said they got to be good people if they love the river. They were and he had a great trip and could not say enough about his new frinds. He always carried a throw rope, first aid kit and pin kit. He loved the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin and his wonderful girlfriend Mary. Sorry if I am rambling but we really miss him and want everyone to know how much he loved kayaking and the whole kayaking community.
So sorry for your loss, my husbands Dad is devistated as we lost Brian June 13 2009 on the Encampment, and we , my 3 & 4 year old, are taking one day at a time, what a tragic year this has been for boaters. RIP
sleeplessinsbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #84

When I first went to post this I just typed fuck 50 times and almost posted it but decided to backspace through the fucks. I figure I have something to add since I worked a desk job with Derk and not many people have done that since he was always kayaking or schooling not working.

The first day we worked together he came in and the first thing he did was take his Southern Rockies book out and set it on the desk, then start working. I thought that was strange but maybe he was going boating that night and needed info. Then the next day and the next he would take it out first thing. I thought what the hell is that, he had obviously read every word in that book 100 times. Even though the authors had classified each run 10 different ways, Derk had his own classification via 100 stickt notes. Few people know the real bible as well as Derk knew the words in that book. I would look over from time to time and he was always smiling and laughing. I wondered how you could be that happy working on the computer. By day 3 I realized he was actually just surfing the buzz cracking himself up chatting with you guys. By 2:30 he's looking at the Buzz, checking gauges and cross-referencing his book. Needless to say, he did'nt get much work done.

The thing that sticks out in my mind that defined how stoked he was on boating was when I asked him if the Golden Park was worth hitting at lower flows. He said "I tell everybody that it's not worth hitting below 200 cfs, but I go down there at 70 all the time (he pauses and does his head look down half laugh/half deep thought thing) and I have a lot of fun.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #85
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My thoughts go out to his friends and family. It is always hard to hear this kind of news. RIP Derk
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #86
Stout, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
RIP Count

I had the chance to paddle with derk a few times and ran into him last as we were headed into the NF Crystal last weekend. He greeted us with his usual big smile and gave us a wood and road report before we headed up. Their is no doubt he had a deep passion for the sport and he will be missed for may seasons to come. RIP. Condolences to Luke and the rest of the family.

Darrell Haggard
friscofreeskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #87
Boulder, Colorado
I only paddled once with Derk and that was on the Piedra. Afer he styled Eye of the Needle, I did not. I slipped off the pillow and maddly braced avoiding a flip in the hole, before the current sent me on my way I saw Derk's smiling face sitting in the eddy after watching my luck to avoid a ride in the hole.

As I recounted the trip to a friend and mentioned the shuttle with 5 boats and 5 people in Derk's Subaru bottoming out and skidding over the washboard road. oh....Derk is known for his crazy driving on the shuttles.

Derk never failed to shout a hello as he passed me on many runs after. I celebrate Derk's passion for life and kayaking. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #88
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
memorial bench on Clear Creek for Derk

Dear Slottow Family and Friends,
My condolences to all of you. I don't think we've met before but you raised an amazing human being. Derk kayaking in Clear Creek was like milk and cookies; they always go together. In 2006, my good friend James McFarland passed away while kayaking. So, I started collecting donations at Golden River Sports and we raised enough money to put a bench in near the "rodeo hole" in the CC WW park. I would also like to do this for Derk. I'll have to get with the city and chamber to make sure we could do some sort of memorial at the park in Golden...Derk's 2nd home! He deserves to have a constant presence in the Golden boating community and I think this would be a perfect way to express our feelings for Derk.
T-ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #89
golden co., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
4 news. 10 pm memorial to Derk,
cokayakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #90
Eagle County, Colorado
Nice piece on channel 4. My condolences to all of you who were friends and family. I only knew of COUNT from the Buzz, who would have thought such a mature and knowledgable paddler would be so young? So sad to hear, thoughts, prayers, and good wishes to his people.

It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote