Old 07-19-2009   #31
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
To Counts Parents: My heart ripped in two when I read this last night. I was really excited to hit the Ark with you today and could hear the excitement in your voices also. I know where Derk got his passion from. You are great people and will get through this tough time. I truely believe that Derk's soul will now be watching over all of us and providing us safety and guidance on this spirtual river we call life.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Peace and Love JD

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #32
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hi everyone, this is Mary, Count's girlfriend. I can't tell you how much helpfull all your loving comments have been today. This whole community really meant the world to Count and he loved boating in a way I could never before had described or imagined. Several of his life goals included boating in every state and on every continent, I never heard the end of stories about his favourite runs or the summer he first got his bible and read every section of river included. I'm sure of you who have boated with him remember his copy, nearly falling apart recently and covered with ink and post it notes. He wanted to share his passion with everyone and did his best to prevent everything from lost boaters on the road to keeping even my accident prone butt safe.

You all were his closest friends whether you realize it or not and he would have loved to know that you all will miss him. RIP COUNT

Count's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #33
The next zone, .
I just logged on as I was going to reply to a pm of Derek's about Kevco... Jesus.

Rip count...

I only got the chance to paddle upper lake with him and he met up with us because of the buzz... He was super stoked to come back and hit up the big 4 one of these days.. You only had to be around him for a few min to see the passion he had for kayakin and life...

We did loose a good one...
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #34
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Count Derk Man,

You will certainly be missed and remembered.

Just a few weeks ago I had the chance to walk into Buckskin Bill's place with him on the Salmon so I could watch him buy a brim hat so he could get the sun off his face...he lost it playin' in a wave within a day...just the way it should be.

He had so much experience in his short years and a list with so many ticks and goals that was growing by the day. Let's think of Derk as we all move forward boating and doing the things he would want to be a part of.

More power to ya man, you moved forward doing want you want to do! Thanks for sharing some of your time with me.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #35
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
As a front range rafter, I never had the pleasure of meeting Count, but from reading his many posts on the Buzz, you knew he had a true passion for the sport. Always there with an encouraging word or sharing his knowledge and experiences. It's really sad to lose a young man who, from all the stories, was a really great guy with an infectious enthusiasm for kayaking and loved to be on the water.
My condolences to his family and friends. Count was one of the buzzards I would have liked to have spent some river time with. I know that he will be keeping watch over all of us.

Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #36
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
In tribute to Derk all Buzzards should go out and do something river related today and come back tonight and post the best part of their day.

Headin to the Ark now, talk to you'll later!

Red jackson with a blue strutter with a black band on it. Shout out to Derk if you see me on the #'s.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #37
For Derks parents and Mary - thank you for sharing your thoughts. I cannot imagine how difficult these days are for you and those closest to him. Derk was a fundamentally good person. As an admin here at Buzz he brought the community closer together and his passion for kayaking was obvious. He brought wonderful perspective and was able to diffuse sticky situations here at Buzz with humor and an even hand. He was funny and smart and had a keen sense of irony.

Derk was immensley respected here and we will miss him.
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #38
I am sad to hear about Derk this morning.

I met him a few years ago and frequently saw him at put-ins & takeouts over the last few years. He was always friendly, positive and motivated to get as many days and rivers in as he could.

He was very outgoing and willing to boat with new people, which always ended up as new friendships.

The count was a great guy and will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace - Derk.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #39
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I knew Derk through school. His kayak club and the people in it were a big reason I started kayaking in the first place.

Everything that has been said in this thread is 100% true. Over the last two years I've had lots of interactions with Derk and he was such a genuine person and he gave so much to the Mines community I can only imagine how much he's given to the river community.

I'm very sad this morning and at a total loss. Derk, the world is a better place because of you. You will be missed but your generous actions will stretch farther than most could guess.
durangotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #40
Very sorry to hear about Dirk. We were just talking about paddling with him last night at a wedding with many of his kayak partners there, he will be missed greatly. I had the pleasure of working with Dirk on the freestyle team in Summit County and can honestly say he had the ability to make any situation better and more fun. RIP buddy, and thoughts to all involved.

farmer is offline   Reply With Quote