Old 08-25-2009   #201
Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Oh Derk...

Next time I see you I'll have to kick Your Ass for leaving us for the rest of the boating seasons all alone. Damn you! Get out of this skin that easy? Most likely you'll be leading the way on the water in your next life as well. See you then and let's boat then too.

Why I ought to... ok, anger is not the Path.

First time I saw you on Gore - people were calling what sounded like my name and I thought - WTF over? How many Dirk/Derk/Durk/DirkaDirkaJihads are there on the river at any given time? JFC.. That's how we met laughing at each other with full belly laughs many moons ago at Gore saying oh, you're the other one I heard about...

Then MANY YEARS LATER you had the Main Salmon (cache bar) on down a couple of months ago, meanwhile some of us front rangers and west slopers had a ticket in hand for a six day ride down the MFS with Flowtorch, Yakrafter, DanRauer etc... and you extended our Dream into an amazing Dream-Come-True 12 day Idaho Salmon extravaganza. Thank you!

There you were at Cache Bar with two 30 packs of PBR an your mean red machine. Sorry you lost your Buckskin Bill's hat after your first roll with it - DUMBASS, what were you thinking?? I'll yell at you again now, because that was a cool hat and you Loved it! Ugh. Killin' me..

Was great to hug you on the takeout when saying goodbye at your car and realizing I had picked you up by about a foot off your feet. Then you got into that POS and made like a rally car driver.

So I am glad we had that talk about dying on the river. This is way better than the alternatives discussed and thank you.

Much love to a wise and greatly talented little brother. You would have been a great rafter

... sorry to miss your goodbye thingy-dingy. Was on the upper 5 of the North Fork Payette as we had talked about and thought about you as the warm water splashed all over us. You would have been there... so were the Pirhana dudes again and some of your other h2o homeys.

... and sorry I couldn't post until today.. just couldn't sack up to it and didn't know what to say. I'm going to miss you.

raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #202
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Annie wanted me to post this. She found in a basket with his graduation things and thought you all might like to read one of Derk's poems.

As you approach, you hear the behemoth roar.
The canyon’s sweet serenity is no more.
Though you stand and search, you effort is futile,
The only help, the only clue- a deafening warning:
The River Thunders

Carefree relaxation, and peace,
The cool comfort of the water,
And it’s soft Assurance, of Home
Quickly fade in the moment,
As the River Thunders.

Your fleeting glances see much,
You see the soapy swirls of foam,
The ever-so-quickly retreating eddyline,
The sinuous lines of the flowing darkwater.
But your ears, they hear the River Thunder.

The warm sun sparkles on the hard water.
You grit your teeth and splash your face
You know where you must go
As the current pulls you over the lip.

The River Thunders.

"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." - Loren Eiseley
Count's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #203
on the water, jersey
Paddling Since: 2008
I read this poem when I found this thread, and loved it. I thought it seemed silly to post it because I did not know him, and so many of you did. I just read it again, and it is a beautiful and perfect description of a the river. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, and I am still saddened by the loss.

waterratNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #204
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Bumping cuz I miss Count. We never met. Matters not.
The river is rising. Thinking of you buddy.

Wish I could find the photos of the 21(3) kayaks on your car. That was really funny. And the cop who let you go even with two on the hood.

What could he do? It was Derk.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #205
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Yeah it's too bad, a lot of good ones gone living from a boat.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #206
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I was thinking about the strappage game last week, here ya go. RIP Derk

The Art of Strappage
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #207
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I was thinking about the strappage game last week, here ya go. RIP Derk

The Art of Strappage
Thanks. That made me laugh again.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #208
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I was thinking of that also the last couple of weekends. Two weekends ago I had 6 kayaks strapped to my cat on the trailer. Certainly no contention, but still fun. Then last weekend when I had my cat on top of our big van. CD, you've seen the van, the photo is rad, it took 6 kayakers to get it up there! It's that time of year for sure. I was just talking to my neighbor this AM, who lost his leg 16 years ago, enjoy every day, you just never know when or how it's going to end. Happy boating!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #209
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Derk has been with us throughout our boating season so far.

We ran Cataract over spring break, and he helped us through Big Drops (neither of us rafting had ever rafted before). He rewarded our botched-but-clean-enough line on BD3 with a Guinness, which floated to my feet rowing into the eddy below BD3. It was also St. Patrick's Day. Only Derk would mess with our line, then treat us to a beer afterwards

We miss you kid!!
b dash rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010   #210
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I propose a COUNT memorial run on 7-18 - where ever you are - organize a COUNT float. I'll be on the upper animas most likely.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote